Chapter 5 - Aya Felicity(edited)

Aya Felicity didn't like the idea of sending greenhorns–university students–to war. The young woman knew talk of war was just suspension, but if it happened, then this group of young people would certainly die.

The white-haired young woman recalled standing next to her mentor, Iris Eloclipse, during their audience with King Vermillion the day they landed at Lyzaria University. Professor Mar-Gin and other high-ranking Knights were there as well. They spoke of sending these young men and women into a situation they had no experience with.

Fighting wild animals and small-time gangs was vastly different than fighting a large-scale battle. Aya knew firsthand just how terrifying it could be.

Against a Darkness Tamer and Vympiris, no less.

Of course, she tried to urge her mentor to convince the King to reconsider, but the Supreme Council also agreed that putting fledglings on the front lines would benefit the defense of the four nations. The young woman couldn't help but wonder why King Vermilion or the Supreme Council would feel this was a clever idea. They were sending lambs to the slaughter.

She glanced over at Iris. Strands of blue blended with orange made her hair resemble a flame. The older woman was watching Aya as if she were reading her mind. Her brown skin soaked up the patches of sunlight that beamed through the trees of the jungle.

"I understand your concern, Aya, but the Council has made their wishes known. We as Knights must follow the orders we are given, or else it could reflect badly on Lady Ahmeal. Besides"—her gaze lingered on the Nadire—"you know I have my own reasons for coming to Vyrmm."

Aya looked over at the group of university students huddled around a campfire. They were joking and marveling at the lemur-like creatures that scurried on the dense forest trees as they prepared for tonight's mission. Aya knew she wasn't much older than the students, but looking at them now, they looked like teenagers unprepared for the harsh life of a Knight.

"Professor Mar-Gin speaks very highly of them. He sent a report on their first battle with an evil bearer. Without Mar-Gin watching their back."

Aya' abruptly turned to look at her mentor.

The older woman kept her eyes on the group of young Knights in training and nodded. "Not just them. Apparently, all four nations have fine students this year."

Aya was impressed. It was still early in the year, and they were able to manage a feat. Still, even the most talented could get annihilated during the war. Aya prayed to Kul that the younger men and women wouldn't have to fight in one any time soon. For now, she'd trust her master like always.

An hour later, Iris decided to make her way over to the university students. A day had passed since they left the school and had reached the jungle of Glaria. After setting up camp, Professor Mar-Gin and Iris decided to take a hike into the jungle. With the moon now replacing the sun, they could finally begin the mission.

"Listen up, small fry!" Iris said as she came upon the group. Her voice demanded authority. Despite the woman's small frame, she could strike fear into the deadliest of criminals.

Aya watched with amusement as the young adults hurried to attention. Iris continued, "As you've no doubt heard, this will be an infiltration mission as well as an assassination. A notorious gang syndicate is said to be held up in a base not far from here. You are ordered to assassinate Bentil Lavs. A Lieutenant in the ranks of Rogue."

Aya had faced the criminal group plenty of times. To say they were dangerous would be an understatement.

Iris held up a Holopad and a holographic projection of Bentil wearing purple and black attire popped up. Bentil was bald with a gray beard, and his eyes held a sharp determination. "This man is very deadly and surrounds himself with killers from all over the continent. Do not hesitate to kill or you will surely die."