chapter 18 - The search(Edited)

Three days went by when Kaden found himself trudging through a snowy pine forest to Demons peak. He and the other master Knights were deep in the nation of Zexus, far from it's capital.

Demon's Peak was nearly four more hours away on foot, the rendezvous point was three. The team had been told not to use too much mana or the gems they wore around their necks would break, allowing the Vympiri to smell their life force.

Kaden noticed Kariah-Belle glance his way through his peripheral. When he looked at her, she'd quickly avert her gaze. This had been going on since they left Nylin. Kaden thought it was weird, even for her. He started to ask her what was up but Lax-Rim spoke.

"Guys... I gotta take a leak. Be right back."

The young man disappeared behind a couple of trees.

"Ah, classic Lax-Rim." Kariah-Belle said with a small giggle. "He always did have a weak bladder."

Kaden knew the other young man and Kariah-Belle were childhood friends. If he remembered correctly, Lax-Rim​ had trained with Kariah-Belle using wooden swords when they were at the orphanage. Kaden could see why Kariah-Belle liked the red head. He was funny.

He knew both of them were going through a hard time with their former teammate being kidnapped only several months after another was killed. He was glad he could accompany them on this mission.

Kaden noticed Kariah-Belle staring at him yet again. Aya glanced his way too. Usually when they were out in the open, the two were vigilant.

"Alright," he said, getting ready to ask the two women what their deal was when they heard a rustle coming from a nearby bush.

The three watched the bush, their hands instantly on their weapons.

Out stepped Rygilya.

The olive-skinned Darkness Tamer gave an jagged smirk.

Kaden and Aya drew their weapons.

"What are you doing here, Rygilya?" Aya asked with her guns aimed at him.

"Wouldn't you like to kn—" Kariah-Belle interrupted the young man.

"Bastard!" She screamed as her mana flared to life around her.

Uh-oh. Kaden thought just as Kariah-Belle lunged.

She was upon Rygilya in seconds. Aya had shouted for her not to engage but she wasn't listening.

Kaden didn't blame her. He had been the one to kill her former squad leader after all.

Her sword clashed with his gauntlet, the storm cloud moving across it coursed with lightning upon impact.

"Jet! You murdered my friend!" Her arms pushed down on the hilt of her sword as she glared into his eyes.

She looked to be struggling. Rygilya however held his ground with little effort

"Jet?" Rygilya said, looking a bit confused. He then gave her a dull look. "Sorry. I don't remember every piece of trash I dispose of."

"Bastard!" Kariah-Belle snarled.

She spun on her heel and tried to kick Rygilya on the side of his head but he dodged effortlessly.

Dammit. Kaden thought as he activated his mana hull.

Rygilya was way out of her league. He had both stood with and against him so he knew first hand just how powerful the Darkness Tamer was.

Rygilya punched Kariah-Belle away just as Kaden was upon him.