chapter 26 - The gathering(edit)

"And you agreed to giving the Serpent Queen refuge?" Asked council member Re-Liam.

Iris Eloclipse sat straight in her chair. She eyed the bold man who sat high on his high podium. Other members of the council sat beside him.

"Yes," The dark-skinned woman said simply.

"Why would you do such a thing Lady Iris?" Questioned councilwoman Berciel. "She is an enemy of the four nations. She may turn on us in an instant."

"That's possible," Iris confessed. "However, with the threat of the Darkness looming somewhere overhead, I don't think she'd risk it. Besides, it was your endeavors that pushed her down that path."

The council members began to murmur amongst themselves. They seem to come to a conclusion moments later.

"This is something that the council shall permit," announced Re-Liam. "We do believe Medusa will be a great asset in humanities defense. As for the matter with Dracula, you will not be allowed to go to his fortress. Instead, you will be overseeing the evaluation of Laviria."

Not believing what she had heard she blinked. "Say again?"

Re-Liam cleared his throat. "We do not know when the Darkness will strike again. The Four Nations will need its strongest and most capable champions. We haven't been in touch with two other holy Knights for over a year and can only assume the worst. We can't risk losing another because of one girl."

Iris stood, her hands on the desk in front of her. She glared at the councilman. The confusion in her eyes was replaced with a fierce fire as she spoke. "You fool." she said coldly.

Some of the Knights in the conference chamber gasp. Van chuckled a bit. It was reckless for even a holy Knight to insult a council member.

Iris knew she was walking on thin ice here but what else could she do?

"Haven't you figured it out yet?" She continued. Now she was talking to the council as a whole. "Surely it must have crossed your minds. The only other Nadire in existence. Daughter of Lilith the Light Keeper. Where do you think Kul has gone? The entire branch was wiped out including Lilith and Eliyah. Yet another child besides Kaden survives. Do the math. Memphis wouldn't have spared her."

The council members whispered amongst themselves.

"She's right, ya know," said Six guns zero, another holy Knight. "I will side with Iris on this. If this girl really is the new Light Keeper, then a rescue team should be put into place to free her from Dracula. Her along with Kaden may be our best chance at surviving what's to come."

Iris turned her head to look at the rose pink-haired woman. She appreciated the support.

The council members murmured to themselves once again before Re-Liam asked, "Even if the young woman is the new Light Keeper, she has not shown signs of knowing the goddess' power. You would risk your life for hers?"

Iris glared at the councilman. "What do you think."

The man cleared his throat again. "Dracula has killed holy Knights before you. Do you honestly think you can defeat him alone?"

"She won't be alone," Van rose to his feet. "I'll aid her."

"Even with the two of you, the chances are slim," expressed Councilwoman Berceil. "The two of you are powerful indeed. More so when you work together but Dracula is a being with immense power, far older and stronger than any of his brothers and sisters."

"Memphis," Aya spoke from behind Iris. Every head in the room had their eyes on the master Knight.

Out of all the names she could have said she chose that one. Her protege never ceased to amaze her.