CHAPTER 1

"Edward? Where in the world are you? Andito na ang family ni Gwen, nakakahiya!" The voice of his mom from over the phone was a little shaken.  The time was passed 8pm, and he knew he was dead meat. His mom invited Gwen's family to dinner, and he wont make it. He would if he could.

"I'm in Cavite, Ma, i am very sorry. "

"Again? My goodness Edward!" He could see the face of his mom in burning anger. And he can't blame her. He could imagine her gritting her teeth, with fist closed. With eyes closed. And shaking.

"Ma, i'm very sorry. Just tell them something urgent came up. I really need to go.  Bye."

Before his mom could even say another word, he dropped the call.

Of course he knew what his mom was up to. He liked Gwen as a person. They knew each other since they were kids. Went to the same schools. Attended the same university. But that is all there is. He liked her as a person and thats all.

But no, it was never his intention to not show up at the family dinner.

He took a deep sigh and pulled over on the side of the highway. His head throbbed. He blinked hard. Pulled his hair.

"Why! Why! Why!" He pounded on the steering wheel. And the horn flared wildly. Confused passersby gave his car a sudden look. His windows are tinted, fortunately. But anyway, he could not care less.

He is in this particular road again. For no particular reason. He just keeps coming back. And he wasn't even aware he was going this road again. Clueless why. The feeling was like going in inside a room looking for something, but the moment you entered the room, you forgot what you were looking for in the first place.

He stared at the lights and people about him. Buses and jeepneys come and go. There were several establishments on the side of the highway. Groceries. Foodchains. Barbershops. Passersby walking around. Passengers getting off a bus. Passengers getting on a bus. Vendors on the street. What's so special about it that he keeps coming back. None. Except that feeling like he's looking for something he could not name what.

He just stayed there for minutes staring blankly ahead, the light blurring in his sight. He was brought back to reality with a soft tap on his window. A guy motioned him to look at the 'reserved for clients' parking sign. Time to go.

He could have been back at home at 11pm, but avoiding his mother, he decided to go back to his condo instead.

It has been a year since the accident. His life was back to normal. Normal. He was back in his position in his family's company. (Until now he doesn't understand even remember why he wrote that resignation letter in the first place). And his mom pushing him to Gwen..

He barely slept that night. Hundreds of thoughts kept his brain up and busy. The last time he found himself driving along that road was just two months ago. He was a little drunk that time. Though he knew he was sober enough to be completely aware what he was doing, but he could not find any better explanation why he was there in that place  than that it had been the alcohol's doing. So what was it this time. He wasn't drunk at all.

He didnt know he had fallen asleep until he woke up. His body clock wakes him up at 5am. He took a short shower. Changed into sweat pants and rubber shoes and go for a ten-minute drive to Square's Garden for his morning jog.

There were already few joggers in the place.

He checked his phone. Still no messages from Mom. He scrolled his contacts instead and find Gwen's.

"Goodmorning Gwen. Im sorry for a no-show last night. I would if i could but something came up. Would you like to have coffee at 7?" Message sent. He glanced at his wristwatch. Few minutes before 6.

"Oops, i'm sorry, i was assuming you were at the metro at the moment. If You're still in Antipolo, then next time na lang. " He puts a smiley. He slid his phone to his pocket and started jogging.

He doesn't know how would Gwen feel upon reading that message. He doesn't know what Gwen feels about this whole match-making thing. Though he was particularly sure she blushes everytime they were teased as a couple.

He checked his phone message after jogging for about 30 minutes.

"It's ok. No worries. Yeah here at the Metro, i drove back to my place last night. See you at the Sonia's Cafe @ 7. "

It was near her condo. Just a few paces away.

He smiled. Between the two of them, he was never the one to name the place where to meet up. His idea was, she name the place of her choice, where she'd be most comfortable at, and he will adjust.

He pulled over the parking lot of Sonia's Cafe a few minutes before 7. He looked around and she hasn't arrived yet. He picked the table near the glass wall where he could see the passers by.

Gwen arrived just minutes later. Her hair in a messy bun. Loose plain white top and cotton square-pants. Without make up. She walked gracefully and he could see heads turning at the sight of her. For Edward, she is undeniably the perfect wife-material. They weren't bestfriends, but they've known each other for the longest time. A very simple woman. She doesn't put on make up except on very  special occassions, and when she does, you bet guys are at her feet. So simple she said once to him, "if i'd be a man's wife, i'd give up work and be a plain housewife." And Edward found that very interesting.

Her face beamed with a smile upon seeing him. Edward stands up to greet her.

"Looking good, Gwen. Fresh morning!" He ushered her to seat. She blushed lightly.

"Haha, thanks. Wala pang ligo yan. "

A staff approached and took their orders.

"So how was the dinner last night without me?" Edward asked.

She gave a faint smile and said,

"You wouldn't believe it, they were talking about our marriage."