CHAPTER II

"Our marriage?"

He was waiting for Gwen to react first. One moment she's sad, the next moment she's serious. And then she's smiling. It's hard to read her emotions.

Gwen chuckled. "Sila na lang kaya ang magpakasal!"

Di napigilan ni Edward na mapatawa. He didn't expect that. But he thought that phrase from Gwen mirroring his made him a little more relaxed and comfortable in their whole conversation. The parents were planning of a garden wedding in new zealand. And that they wanted at least two grandsons and a granddaughter.. And the list goes on. Edward and Gwen were laughing the whole time.

"I think it turned out for the better that i was not there."

And then their conversation switched again to last night's.

" i'm curious what had you stranded. Tita Melba was in full composure last night but she still looked embarassed when she told us you couldn't come."

"I was in the bad."

He remembered the road again. And that suffocating feeling. He pulled a handful of his hair. It becomes a habit now. Gwen was looking at him intently. Her brows up. She leaned forward.

"Was it a girl?" In a low teasing voice.

"No." He shook his head smiling. Gwen's expression relaxed. And he suddenly thought, there was never a girl in his life since his last relationship in college. No wonder his mother is pushing him to Gwen. He was 27 and.. That made him think harder. He felt his heart. He felt like something squeezed his heart.

His phone rang. Speaking of Mom.

"Excuse me, Gwen."

"It's ok, go ahead."

"Hi mom." He was readying his ears.

"You aren't home. Where are you? Did you know how embarassed i was last night?"

"Look mom, i'm sorry. Yeah, Gwen told me. I am here in Manila, having my morning coffee with Gwen." He said, casting a glance to Gwen.

He doesn't know if he was just saying he is with Gwen just a matter of factly or for a purpose that his mother would stop questioning him for goodness' sake. But either way, the voice over the phone softens.

"What? You're with Gwen?"

"Yeah i am. And she's told me what happened."

"Ok, aren't you coming home tonight?"

"I think not. I'll be home next weekend." They said goodbyes, and call ended.

"You know what, my Mom really likes you, she stopped nagging at me the moment i said i am with you."

Gwen smiled and motion her hand, that smile that suggests you dismiss a thought. And seemed determined to their previous topic.

"So if it wasn't a girl...."

Edward took a deep breath. And he found himself telling Gwen the whole story. How for the second that time he was driving along that road again with no specific destination. The whole time she was listening attentively, she looked confused, nodding and not meeting him in the eye. And then he would see that look in her that was partly sad, partly smiling. When the story ended, she leaned back to her seat and appeared to be in deep thoughts.

"You didn't know you were going that way?" At last she muttered.

"It was like, doing things absent-mindedly. "

"You mean,  like... "

"I was preoccupied with thoughts. It was like this." He leaned forward. "I knew i was driving. I can read the roadsigns. I was too preoccupied that i only realized i was on the wrong way home when my phone rang and i saw my Mom's name on my phone screen. Then i remembered i was supposed to be at home. And then looking around wondering where i was, i realized i was in that road again, the same road i mistakenly drove by two months ago. And what's puzzling is, i felt in my heart that i should be there but i don't know why. I had this feeling that... That it wasn't a mistake."

His head throbbed again. He buried his face in his hands.

He felt Gwen's hand on his shoulder, but he didn't look up. If he did, he must have seen the sorry look in Gwen's face and she was fighting for the first drops of tears to come out. He stayed in that position for so long that the next time he looked at Gwen, the traces of tears were gone. Only a kind smile was there.

"Have you seen your doctor recently?"

Edward thought and realized that since the first two follow -up check ups after his accident, he had not seen his doctor. There was nothing to worry about since he was okay physically and the tests were all normal. Except that amnesia thing. And that was whats bothering him now. That finding himself in that road wasn't just a mistake.

That his brain was actually remembering something.

"I'm no doctor. But i guess you better see one. Maybe what you are experiencing right now has something to do with the accident? I don't know. But there's nothing wrong in trying.

"Yeah, right. I think you are right."

Monday, he didn't go straight to work. He called his secretary and said he will be late. He could have just made his secretary book an appointment with Dr. Tan but he wanted to do it himself personally.

He approached the receptionist.

"Excuse me, i was a patient of Dr. Tan, and i would like to schedule an appointment."

"Kindly wait for a minute sir." The lady was browsing on something in her computer monitor. Her eyebrows twitched.

"Do you mean sir, Dr. Janice Tan of Obstetrics and Gynaecology?"

He chuckled lightly. "Ah, no, no. Its a Mister. I just forgot the first name. But he is a nuerologist. "

"Ok sir, kindly wait."

Edward rapped his fingers lightly on the counter while waiting.

"Hi Sir!" A middle aged nurse approached him. He recognized her by the face. One of the nurses who attended to him.

"Magpapacheck up po kayo?"

"Oo sana. Will book an appointment sana with Mr. Tan. But this young lady here couldn't find his name."

"Dr Tan po? Yung doctor nyo dati? " Owen nodded.

"Ay wala na po siya dito ngayon, ang balita ko po, nagpatuloy siya ng practise abroad."

"Oh? Kelan pa?" He was definitely surprised.

"Mga anim na buwan na rin po siguro."

He didnt expect that. But he wasn't so disappointed. It doesn't really matter. If he wanted his head check, he can consult another doctor. Its just that he felt a little unmotivated. He spent his whole day at the office. Spent the whole week at work. Friday came. His father was in a business trip in Hongkong, and he felt the need to come home for the family dinner lest her mother would be eating alone. Besides, he promised. He now detested being the only child.

Her mother was agreeable that night and no arguments were thrown over dinner.

The next day, he stayed in bed longer than usual. No morning jogs. He didn't came down for breakfast. He just lay there in his bed contemplating. He had been thinking about it for a week. And he thought there is no harm in trying.

If his brain was really trying to remember something, he ought to give it a little help.

And he was thinking of driving along that road again.