CHAPTER VII

Three years ago...

It was past 6pm. Maymay just got out of the studio. As she used to, she was walking with her head bend down.

Maymay is a jolly person, but she was particularly dejected at the moment. The news was expected though. Its not like its a new thing. The project they were working on is nearing its finish, and that would mean no work for her for the next weeks. And worse, months. Basically,  for a starting animation company like theirs, it's to be expected. They solely depended on project availability.  No project, no work. And no work meant no salary.

But she has bills to pay. Inah just enrolled in college.

Unless she will try applying on a different animation company. And that has never been her thing. She's been working here for years. She was afraid to try somewhere new. To meet new people. To have a new boss. NEW. She's kind of allergic to that word. That was never her thing. What she used to do was save money when they have projects so she can stay at home for a month or two while waiting for another project to start. But now was different. Inah has just enrolled to college. What is she going to do?

Maymay was completely engrossed to her thoughts she didn't see a speeding car coming.

The next moment she heard a loud screech. The next moment she was flying. The next moment she was lying on the cold ground.

Everything stopped. She thought, so did her heartbeat. But the truth, her heartbeat is the only sound she was hearing. It was sometimes later when she heard people screaming. Footsteps coming.

"Miss? You alright? "

That was the last thing she heard. Then she fainted.

The next moment she opened her eyes, she was in a room. She shivered, it was cold. She realized she was in a hospital bed upon discovering her right hand has a dextrose put on.

Maymay tried to sit up, but she felt a gnawing pain in her hips. Then she remembered, she was hit by a car. She thought she was dead.

She remembered her siblings.

She had no idea of the time. And she needs to inform that she can't come home tonight.  Or else, they would worry so much.

"Tao po! " the voice that came out from her throat was weak. "May tao po diyan? "

No one's answering. Maymay looked sideways. And she noticed a side table in her left. With drawers. She thought of her cellphone.

Maymay leaned her both arms to the bed and pushed herself up. The pain aggravated.

"Hey, be careful."

Maymay almost faint for the second time. She didn't know she wasn't alone. A guy, previously sitting at the couch at the far end of the room, near the window was approaching her.

"Stay still. You'll hurt yourself. " his voice was soft.

She particularly noticed his sad eyes.

"Sorry po, sir. "

He wear longsleeves and ties. His sleeves drawn up to his elbows. He looked like a foreigner. But his expression made her feel comfortable. He looks nice. He wasn't smiling. But he looks nice. He looks like they are of the same age.

Maymay assumed this man must be the one who hit her. Because otherwise, who else would he be? He certainly doesn't look like a doctor. And she suddenly felt apologetic.

"Pasensya na po kayo. I mean, i'm sorry po, sir. "

Why is she saying sorry?  Firstly,  Maymay thought this man owned the voice she heard before she fainted. And that this man paid the trouble of taking her in this hospital. And from the looks of it, not JUST a simple hospital. She would have not thought this was one in the first place if she had not seen the dextrose. And who's going to pay? Of course it ISN'T  GOING TO BE HER. Because if she is, then she must have fought for life and death earlier not to faint off until she has made sure that she is taken to a public hospital.

This man should pay, and and so she felt apologetic.

Secondly, not only he paid the trouble of taking her here, but he stayed as well. Waiting for her to wake up. From his looks, she could tell his time is gold.

The guy just shrugged his shoulders.

"How are you feeling? " he said unsmilingly.

"I'm fine. Thank you, sir. "

The man sighed.

And Maymay felt guilty again.

"Pasensya na po talaga ulit sir, naabala ko pa ho kayo. "

"There's no need to say sorry. "

For the first time, Maymay saw him smile. That was brief but enough to make her feel okay. She really could tell he is a nice person. Others would have scolded her for not looking up when walking. She knew,  70% was her fault.

"By the way," he puts his hand on his pocket and a moment later he was handing her her cellphone.

"I found that in your bag, I'm sorry for looking into your things. I was just gonna text your family about what happened but your phone is locked so. There. You better inform them about what happened. "

Maymay felt all the more indebted to this guy.

"well, get enough sleep. And rest." He then turned his back and get his coat hanging on the couch's arm.

"I'm going home. And if you need anything. Just give me a call. " he handed her a card. Then he was gone.

He was long gone before Maymay looked at the business card she's holding.

Edward John Barber.
EJB Properties Inc.

Maymay's eyes widened.

EJB Properties.

E.J.B. Pro-per-ties Inc.

One of the leading corporations in the Philippines. EJB. And his name is no other than EDWARD JOHN BARBER.

And going back, she was busy saying she's sorry she had not been able to thank him, not even once.