CHAPTER XXIV

At the dimly lighted room, the bluish light from the moon diffuses from the open window. Maymay's silhouette is seated on the bedside, unmoving. The time was past 12 midnight. And the happenings from the previous hours still crowding in her mind. Though she appeared peaceful, her mind was in chaos, full of Edward and the picture of his face, how his Dad treated her, the humiliation she felt, the alienating atmosphere that enveloped her the very second she stepped on that ground. She shivered.

She remembered the first time she laid eyes on those sad eyes of him, and how she wanted to revive and see happiness in them. She remembered the time when she's uncertain of his feelings, and she searched for those eyes hoping they could reveal his feelings somehow. She remembered how Edward's intimate eyes glistened with happiness, on that magical night of confession. And now all she could see at the back of her head is the look of his face when he left with Luke, his eyes seemed reassuring, but partly afraid. He was afraid himself. And maybe partly hopeful, he'd see her when he comes back. She could have helped him shake that fear off, but she was as much as afraid as him. So she left. And she's not regretting it.

She was the one who gave Edward that glow in his eyes, she never imagined she's going to be the same person to take it back.

She felt an unfathomable pain in her heart. It wrings her heart so bad she couldn't breathe. She raised her left hand to her chest, pacifying the pain. The faces from last night crowded in her brain, how they looked at her. How Gwen looked at her. How Edward's father looked at her. She's unwanted. She dared cross the line. And she had to go as far before she realize that she and Edward isn't for each other.

No. Not in this lifetime.

She was willing the embrace his world, but she lost her light in the process. She wasn't herself anymore. The bubbly girl who couldn't care less about what people say.

A tear fell.

The night was long for the two tortured souls separated by distance, by time, by power. And while she isn't sure what the future holds, Maymay has decided. She'd better get out of his life before it gets even harder for the two of them to do so.

She turned off her phone all day. And then get a new number soon afterwards. But she knew soon she and Edward have to talk, and that he deserves an explanation. But now she preferred to be alone with herself, to think things out.

On monday, she's back to work. And she, not being her usual self, earns curious glances from her closest peers. But they couldn't wring answers from her. She would just laugh and try to be cheerful, but when no one's around she would slowly come back to her preoccupied self.

At 8pm, she turned off her work station, puts on her sling bag and get ready to leave. She was heading to the main entrance when she caught sight of Edward's car in the parking lot. She couldn't see him, so he must be in the car, waiting. She stopped, for a moment she was undecided if she'd continue walking. She turned around and climbed the stairs again.

She went back to her work station and turn her computer on. She started working on a scene she saved for tomorrow's work. But her hand couldn't draw a single line. She felt a lump building on her throat. She puts down her pen, and just stared at the monitor. For how long, she didn't know. She was just brought back to present with a light tap on her shoulder.

"Uy, andito kapa pala. Nasa baba si Edward, hinahanap ka. Di ka daw niya macontact eh. Di ka pa ba uuwi? Gabi na ah." Camille, one of her workmates. It looks like she just came back from dinner.

Maymay glanced at her wristwatch. It's passed 9. An hour and a half have passed. She hasn't eaten dinner yet. And Edward..

"ah, meron lang akong tinatapos." But her monitor screen was put on sleep. She moved the mouse to awaken the monitor.

"Eh paano si Edward, naghihintay dun? "

"Pwede humingi ng favor. p-pakisabi mo nalang na nakauwi na ako kanina pa."

"What? Hala siya. Nangangamoy LQ ah. Sigurado ka? Kawawa naman yung tao, kanina pa sa baba."

"Sige na please?"

When Camille left. She wanted to stop her. Her heart ached to see him. But. That can't be.

So that started the game of hide and seek. Edward didn't stop looking for her. But she barely went home on weekends. She would just stay at Amy's condo for days on end. There were many a day she would see him at the parking lot. So often that she would look for him when he's not there.

Then, maybe, as we all bound to be when effort is not paid off, he became tired.

He just stopped coming.

She doesn't see him anymore. Sometimes her heart would ache seeing a different car parked in that particular place. Sometimes she'd find herself longing for him.

She would hold her hands close to her chest and pacify her aching heart. She'd smile. She'd laugh. She knew, she'd get the hang of not having Edward in her life soon. Just a little patience.

He'd soon forget her and find someone more fitting. Then he'll live his life without her. That's what he deserves.

As for her, she cannot forget him.