CHAPTER XVII

Is because it has been a long time since Edward has had a relationship that at the moment, he felt like an elementary fifth grader confessing to his crush?

For the very moment the words slipped off his mouth he wanted to take them back. It is as if he is presently seeing his spoken words drifting into the air, like a feather in the wind, slowly, slowly, teasingly,  but surely, landing on his target.

Boom!

His eyes are locked on Maymay's, his heart almost burst in awkward anticipation. Her face is equally surprised. Lips ajar. Then slowly she pursed her lips, and the corners of her mouth moved into, perhaps a smile? He isn't able to see her expression completely for she looked away, in the direction of the window. Edwards looks at the road. Yes for a moment he forgets he is driving.

He sighed and felt himself colored deeply.

The ambiance of the car changed abruptly, and Edward is cursing his lips in his mind. She wouldnt even look at him the whole time they were travelling. And this is what he's been afraid of, and that was why he was always keeping to himself the words that need keeping, so what to do now?

The ride with Maymay seemed like forever for the first time. No one speaks a word. He wouldn't dare. Edward turned to his last resort. He switched the stereo on.

"Pag-ibig nga kaya..
Pareho ang nadarama ito ba ang simula.
Di na mapipigilan,
Pag-ibig nga ito-

Uh-oh. Just why! He felt himself colored even deeper.

He saw Maymay, ever looking away, crouching a little against the window. If she's smiling or not, he couldn't tell.

Edward's hand automatically hit the button, almost in a hurry, and it changed frequency.

For the first time
I am looking in your eyes
For the first time im seeing who you are-

Click.

He switch the stereo off. Just why, why,  why in the world are radio stations playing love songs right this very hour? Lullabies would rather be most welcome. Or even rock songs will do.

The air, getting more awkward than it already is, left the two all the more speechless.  Both remained silent the whole ride.

When he stopped the car infront Maymay's house, with the engine stopped as well, there is dead silence. Or at least, for the both of them. The time is fifteen minutes before twelve.

Edward looked at Maymay and noticed she isn't moving, her head leaning on her right shoulder. She has fallen asleep.

"May.. " he softly said, trying to wake Maymay up. She awakens at his third try.

And looking about her, eventually realizing they have arrived, she jerks on her seat.

"Andito na pala tayo. " she said, still not looking at him, undoing her seatbelt.

"Thank you Edward. " as thrift as that, Maymay opened the door and get out of the car.

Edward, confused, is fast too, for in seconds he is out of the car. He crossed the distance between them with just a few strides.

"Maymay.. "

Maybe you assumed Edward grabs Maymay's hand as he said that, but no. He just stopped. His hands at his sides. As he softly whispered her name, Maymay still a full step away. The truth is, he doesn't know what to do. Would he just let the two of them separate ways with this awkwardness, let the coming weekend make them forget what needs to be forgotten? Or would he just simply take back his words?

Maymay stops. And look at Edward. Her eyes are full of emotions too Edward couldn't name what. But even under the lame light from the distant streetlight, he could sense her cheeks are burning.

Take them back! Take them back! That's what the voice within him is saying.

"I missed you."

Its the words he'd been dying to say. He thought saying this would make a gap between them. Just like what really happens to most boy-girl friendship.
With all infairness to Edward, in all his internal debate going on, he finally sorted out his feelings.

And voicing them out, surprisingly, makes Edward feel.. Somewhat...

Relieved.

Yes. Relieved. Like he is freed. He finally voiced out his feelings. The feelings he had been keeping to himself. The feelings he had been arguing with himself about. The feelings that've been there inside his chest for so long, left unsaid, near its outburst. They've been friends for more than a year now, he doesn't know when 'that certain feeling' started to dawn on him, but for sure that isn't just attraction. He knows it's way more than that.

"i just want to tell you that i missed you. I miss you everyday. So bad. More than i.. More than i ever missed Marco."

Maymay looked away. But he could still see her expression because they are standing face to face. And so it didn't escape his eyes when she tried to supress a smile, and failed miserably, creating a dimple in her chin. She covered her lips with her hand.

And when she braved herself and looks back at Edward, her eyes speak a thousand words, of innocence and feminity, uncertainies and vulnerability, she welcomed her with the gentlest smile.

Edward takes a step closer. His heart beating wildly against his chest.

And isn't magical? When no words are needed but the eyes that speak? And isn't magical, that when the clock strikes 12, they were there standing, before the flowery arc, just the two of them, under the stars of a clear night sky, and the yellowish glow of the street light? All the lights and sounds are fading, and only them, exists.

And their casted shadows enjoined, a moment in a bliss, sweetened with a lingering magical kiss.