CHAPTER X

He couldn't explain what he did. But the feeling was like reading an open-ended story. Bitin. Everyday he was like waiting for the girl the call. He doesn't know why he even had that feeling. He would shrug his shoulders and say to himself that maybe he just wanted to hear a little appreciation? It's a question mark.

And now that a month had passed he is pretty sure the girl isn't going to show a little gratitude.

All he know is that he had her name traced. And now he's here standing infront of the mini abode.

It is really small. Edward couldn't imagine that there are three people living in this house. Well, that, he read from the report given to him. There is a small garden infront,  like two by three meters. And just by looking at them, violets,  roses,  daisies and that yellow tiny flowers (he could't name what) that spread on the green lawn, he felt refreshed. At the right side of the house, there are laundry hanging and from the sight of it he could tell Marydale has just finished washing.

The house was painted light blue and it radiated a light feeling through him, like everything about this girl is radiating happiness and he desires to be infected.

Even the gate isn't just a gate. A rectangular piece of woodwork, with thin bamboo's sheets nailed to the frame horizontally.  Above it some kind of vein plant that takes the shape of an arc, with yellow flowers already in bloom.

Their mansion cannot even be compared to this little paraside he is seeing.

Now he has been standing here for like forever, and passers by throw him curious glances. There is no doorbell of course. He just have to call.

Then he saw her peeping through the glass window. Her eyes wide. And mouth open. Like she's seeing a ghost. Then suddenly she's gone.

And whats happening to Edward. For he finds himself smiling again. The kind of smile you can't repress. He shakes his head in disbelief with himself.

Then he sees her opening the door. Timidly.  Instead of seeing a lively girl, what he is seeing now is like a flower bud who refuses to bloom. She's wearing an oversized shirt.  And leggings. She had her long hair untied.

"Sir Edward, good afternoon po." she gave Edward a shy smile while she opens the gate.

She stood at the gap. Edward could tell from her body language she didn't want him to go inside.

"di mo ba ako papasukin? " Edward asked.

"Ay syempre naman Sir,  pasok nga po pala kayo. " She reluctantly opened the gate wide. She has this mannerism of tugging at the end of her shirt.

Edward comes in waited for Maymay to show him the way. Then they went inside.

Edward saw people at awe when seeing large houses for the first time and he discovered that its no different as what he is feeling at the moment. Seeing a house so small. And interesting.

Yes interesting. It is so small you see everything at once. Two wide-pane windows with cushions on each of the two walls.  A small table with three wooden round chairs serves as the division of the salas and the kitchen. A small refrigerator beside the sink. There are built-in cabinets fixed on the wall just above the head. It saves space. There is a door at the left and it must be the shower. On its wall leaned a wooden ladder, and following its other end he sees a small opening on the slanted ceiling. Must be the bedroom. He saw from outside there is small window upstairs.

The house is very clean. And in very well order. Very homey. This is what home is. A place one would always look forward going home to. He felt a pinch in his chest. He envied the girl.

"Pasensya na sir,  maliit lang ang bahay namin. " she's tugging at the end of her shirt again.

"No, no. It's..  It's cute actually. He is currently looking at the three frames carricatures on the wall. Of course he knew already who they were. They were Ina and Jeff. And he knew Marydale drew that. He saw it on the report, she's an animator.

"Ah mga kapatid ko sir. " she said, observing that Edward's eyes are fixed on the frames hanging on the wall.

"Yeah,  i know. " Edward absentmindedly uttered. "ah-i mean, yes. That's- that's what i thought. You three look alike,  you know. Very nice drawing huh. "

"Salamat po, sir. Ahmm.  Sir,  upo muna po kayo. " Maymay drew the curtains on the side. "Ano po ang gusto niyong inumin?  Tubig po,  juice,  kape? "

"tubig nalang,  please. "

He even love the cushion. He felt it with his hands. The room is dreamily lit at the moment, the light from the window facing the west let in some sunlight filtered by the thin white curtain. And oh, there were mini bookshelves under the window panes. He wondered what it feels like reading a book in that corner in a rainy afternoon with a cup of coffee on his side.

"You got a nice house,  Marydale. "

She puts the glass of water on the table. "Salamat sir. Niresearch ko po iyan sa pinterest. Mga space-saving ideas. Masyado po kasing maliit itong bahay namin. Pero sa totoo lang po,  eto na po ang dreamhouse ko. "

"so you mean,  you designed all this?"

She nodded.

"wow,  you are really artistic."

"di naman po masyado sir." she's tugging at her shirt again. "Ah..  Sir Edward,  sobrang salamat po talaga sa tulong niyo sa akin. Forever ko pong tatanawin iyon na utang na loob. Di po ako makatawag para makapagasalamat sa inyo sir sa binigay nyong number kasi..  ah basta po!"

Edward is smiling and he couldn't help it. Aside from tugging the end of her shirt,  she has this mannerism of opening her palms as wide as they can get.

"oh it's nothing. I was actually glad that i was able to help. Though i have one request. "

"ano yun sir? gagawin ko po kahit ano. "

"Drop the 'sir'.  Just call me Edward.

"Ano po,  sir? "