CHAPTER XIII

"Sir Edward!" she looks surprised seeing him. But relieved at the same time. He is surprised himself. She is the last person he thinks he will be seeing here, in his own territory. He already saw her coming forward, but she looks like she's in a hurry that she didn't even notice him.

Edward saw Marydale's face alightened with a smile at the sight of him.

And for the first time he felt like his presence is the most welcome presence to Marydale this very moment. Whatever happened earlier, it seemed like a blessing in disguise.

"Mabuti po nakita ko po kayo!"

"Why,  is something the matter, and what are you doing here?" He looks in the direction of the building but everything looks perfectly normal.

"Ah, hehe..  Wala naman po sir. Pupuntahan ko po sana kayo. May gusto lang po kong ibigay sa inyo." she appeared a little taken aback when she said that. Slowly but surely, she is metamorphing to the version of Marydale when he is around.

Edward then noticed the rectangular thing Marydale is clutching in her armpit.

The truth is, Edward's rushing to be back at the office because he is to preside a meeting, which is about to start. He glanced at his wristwatch, nearly 4pm. He thought of rescheduling the meeting but then he knew his schedule will not allow it. And although he could have just take whatever Marydale is going to give him, his lips said,

"Let's go to the nearby cafe. " He and Marco just separated. And maybe Marco is still in the vicinity. He could be a little help in this dilemma. He will send him a message.

Edward noticed Marydale startled as he gently put his right hand at her back, guiding her as they cross the street. And when he opened the door for her, he saw her hide a smile.

As they wait for their orders, Edward sent two messages. "Delay the meeting for a few minutes. " That, she sent to Rina.  Another text goes this way, " Come back over to the Winery. Right this moment. Urgent." That,  he sent to Marco.

Right now,  she has fully metamorphosed to the bashful Marydale.  Why? She looks at everything except him. When the waiter gave them the menu, Maymay took them, but after looking at.. No,  not just 'looking', but frowning at it for sometime,  she softly said.

"Sir,  Edward. Pwede po kayo na lang ang umorder? diko ko po kasi alam yang mga yan eh. Ni di ko nga po mabasa. Baka po pag order ko eh, kubyertos pala ng inoorder ko." she chuckled at her own joke.  "Kayo na po ang bahala,  tutal kayo naman ang magbabayad. "

Edward smiled. Not only because he thinks its funny. But because he found Marydale. amusing. She's very honest and genuine and has no pretensions. Other girl in her place would have pretended, but Marydale simply doesn't care if she looks naive and innocent. And he finds it cute. He hasn't met a girl as genuine as her.

"Ok,  sige. "

"Gusto ko nga po palang ibigay sa inyo sir. "

She is smiling while she handed over to him that mysterious wrapped rectangular thing. He couldn't wait opening the gift up. "Sana po magustuhan niyo. "

"thanks. But this is for what? " he asks.

Just then,  Marco came rushing.

"Hey, bro! What happens-" he stopped when he saw Maymay.  "oh,  you're on a date. I'm sorry. "

"No, we're not. "

"No,  hindi po! "

Maymay and Edward exclaimed at the same time. Maymay blushed deeply. Avoids Edward's eyes and looked outside.

"Marydale,  this is Marco,  my bestfriend. Marco,  this is Marydale."

Marco offerred his hand to Maymay and the two shook hands. Marco is currently looking at Edward which read, "is she that girl?. " But Edward ignored him. He glanced at his watch. He doesn't want to leave.  Really.

"Ahm,  Marco,  can you be with Marydale until i get back?  I have an important meeting right now,  i really have to go." While Edward is saying that, Maymay's eyes protested and would have sad something but Edward cut her off,  "Marydale, promise me you wont leave until i get back. " Actually he didn't even give the two time to answer him. He's already late for the meeting. He left for the office. He didn't even have time to feel sorry.

During the whole meeting he imagined Maymay and Marco not talking at all. He remembers how Marydale looked at him like she was saying,  'don't go'. And so when the meeting's finally adjourned, he went straight back to the winery expecting some very awkward scene.

But he was wrong.

Because instead, he saw Maymay laughing heartily, even leaning backward. Yes she is that happy. Marco is laughing too. The two seemed oblivious of the people around them. Well,  its no surprise to him.  Between him and Marco, Marco is the more friendly one. While he is the more introvert.  Edward stepped closer.

"Grabe ka, Marco". He was close enough to hear Marydale say that.

And wait. She even called him without a sir. Just Marco. Aw. He felt. Envious.

"Looks like you two are getting along. " Edward said. Wait,  why is there sound of resentment in his voice? And what was that feeling, like a little pinch in his chest?

"Ang kulit pala kase talaga nitong si Maymay. "

And who is Maymay?  Ok, that must be her nickname,  and Marco just calls her by her nickname. Edward felt a sting of jealousy. That's fine. Edward doesn't say a thing. He just sat beside Marydale, now Maymay,  because his previous seat Marco occupied.

He feels Maymay is looking at him. But he ignores. Currently,  he is looking at the gift. I'll open that later. He said to himself. He just listened as the two conversed like they've been friends for so long that when Marco finally said goodbye,  for the first time,  Edward was relieved that Marco is going. Marco gave him a meaningful look,  and a pat in the shoulder before he left.

He occupied the seat that Marco emptied.

"Edward. "

Edward looks at Maymay, surprised. At first he thought it wasn't her. But she is smiling brightly. Even her eyes are smiling at him.

She offered her hand. He accepted.

"Ako nga pala si Maymay. "

Now Edward is smiling genuinely. "Ako si Edward."

The wall just crashes down. And what makes the wall crash down?

Before, Maymay sees Edward as a millionaire's son. A millionaire himself. Someone higher. Someone unreachable. But now she sees her as a human. A man in need of a friend. And she's willing to be that friend.

Thanks to Marco.