CHAPTER XXXI

"What do you know about her?" Edward asked. Both were reclining at the sofa in the sitting room.

Scenes from the last time still vivid in his mind. And it seemed the same for Gwen too, for he could see her face colored when he looked at him.

"I first met her when you and her had a date in Tagaytay. And i think she's an amazing woman."

"A date in Tagaytay. " Edward repeats Gwen's words to himself. As if doing so, would make him remember. But to no avail. Going back through his memories again like going through rooms, and finding them empty. 

Gwen heard him say things to himself.

"You don't really remember?"

Edward shook his head.

"I was jealous of her." Gwen continued. "She is very fortunate, because she caught your eyes, your eyes that never sees me. She wasn't very beautiful,  you know. And that's when i realized. She must be.. a very special woman. And she really is. She is that special, that, even if your memories of her were all erased, you still remember her in a way you yourself didn't understand. I thought it was my chance to be seen in the picture when you had forgotten her, but then I knew it. I knew it the first time you told me you'd been driving along that road in Cavite. I knew it, that you were starting to remember her. And.. I couldn't even fathom how deep your love for her is, you know, that your heart fight hard enough to remember her."

"When was that? I mean, when did we started to going out?

"I really can't say. But what i knew is, you already knew each other three years ago."

Three years ago.

Maymay's face when they were in the art gallery returned to his memory. How she ducked behind Marco, how she rested her hand on Marco's arm like it was the safest place on earth.

So why did she and Marco pretended? He had an accident a year ago that costed him his memories, why didn't she come and make herself known?

And then he came up with a question that inwardly brings him the answer.

"Is she accepted in my family?"

"No. I think Tita Melba liked her. But your father did not. There was even a time your father humiliated her. During their wedding aniversary celebration".

"When was that?"

"2015."

My parents wedding anniversary is October. The accident happened in April. That was six months inbetween.

"What happened?"

"She left. Without you knowing. But you went after her when you realized she's gone. But i guess you didn't find her. You came back alone."

"D-did we broke up?"

"I guess so. Because you were never the same since that night."

"But why didn't Mom ever mentioned her to me? If she liked her?"

"I asked her to. And from what you told me, she didn't want to see you anymore. So Tita agreed not to tell you about her since it's of no use. You wouldn't remember her anyway."

Edward rubbed his temple.

Gwen bowed her head.

After a long silence, she looked up at him. Eyes swelling with tears.

"Im sorry Edward. I was being selfish. I wanted you to forget her Edward. Im sorry for being so honest, but I thought that if you had forgotten all about her, it would be my chance then. I've loved you for so long.. No matter what i do i just keep on hoping that there will come a day you'd see me too. So I grabbed the chance. But i was wrong. Even if you had forgotten her.. I was still at the background. Don't you know how painful that is? And now. I wish, i wish i could just erase everything. Just like you did."

"Erase everything,  just like..  I did?"

Gwen appeared disconcerted.

"I-i mean. Forget everything. Just like you."

Then there was a long silence.

"But come to think of it Edward." She seemed lost in a trance, staring through the glass wall of the room. "You see, if a memory only caused you pain and sorrow, would it be even better to just erase them, so you won't feel this way anymore?" Then she looks at him. "Won't you do that, erase the memory of the person you love? If that's the only way to stop the pain?"

Gwen stared hard at him. She stared too long and too hard. He shivered. But didn't say anything. He would if he could.

"But i won't do that." Gwen,  continued, looking away. "Memories, even if how hurtful they seem. They were all part of me. Hurtful memories. They're still worth holding on to. They're still worth coming back to sometimes. So.. "

Gwen wiped her tears. And smiled.

"I have to get going. I just ah.. dropped by to tell you what's been here for so long." she points to her chest. So i can finally breathe. I love you Edward." she leaned closer and gave him a brief kiss on the lips.

The next moment, he's alone.
He felt like he did something.

Something.

Unforgivable.

Edward get out of the office and went straight ahead to the parking lot. In minutes,  he's already on the road.

His head is on the verge of breaking down. He stepped on the accelerator. He swerved. He just couldn't wait. He has to see Maymay this very minute or else..

It was Maymay. It is always been Maymay.

He pulled over the parking lot.

He looked up at the building. He knew this place. By heart. With long strides he went quickly to the reception desk. He even expected the receptionist would greet him,  as an old acquaintance would.

"Hi,  good afternoon-.."

"Edward? "

His words broke off. As he turned around. He saw her there standing. In her usual self. Her hair on loose. Her lips ajar. Her eyes teary. And her face white.

It felt surreal. Like all the feelings he could not give a name flooded over him. Love. Longing. Sadness. Rejection. Hurt. It all flooded over him. All at once.

And he stared at her,  he noticed she is pale. There are dark circles around her eyes. Her next words were like stabs of sword that pierced his heart.

"Bakit mo ako kinalimutan Edward?"

Maymay was crying.

He shook his head. He wanted to tell her he's sorry. That he didn't mean to. But no words came out.

Then he woke up.

He had slept on the coach. He glanced at his wristwatch. Past 6pm. Cha didn't even bother to wake him up.

He brushed his hair with his hands. It was just a dream.

But it felt so real.