CHAPTER XLIV

According to his mother, his Dad always stay up late at nights. She'd wake up in the middle of the night with his side of the bed empty.  Sometimes, she'd see him in the veranda. Sometimes he'd drink himself to sleep in the mini bar. Edward's heart swell in pity.

He stands outside the master bedroom. He feels hesitant. He took a deep breath before he pushed the door open.

It was dark, only the light from the veranda passing through the glass door lightens the room. His father is lying on the bed. Sleeping. He could hear his heavy breathing.

He slouched at the sofa beside the bed, and stared blankly at the wall. His eyes are heavy. He's too tired to even feel.

Everything just turned to dust.

All his hard work.

All those sleepless nights.

His equity shares.

It all boils down to nothing.

He doesn't even know where and how to start. He practically just lost everything.

But even after all that, he couldn't feel anger. No matter how many times he replays everything in his head, he couldn't feel anger. He doesn't know if its because of the pity he's feeling for his father. Or because he just felt too numb to even feel anything.

Or maybe it's because as he looks now at his father's worn-out face, Edward could tell that even in his sleep his father is deprived of peace.

He felt a lump forming on his throat. Yes. He felt pity for his father that his heart ached so bad. His father,who just spent half of his life in guilt and remorse. Edward couldn't think of anything more torturous.

He can't imagine how emotionally tormented his father has been, to be even delirious.

But what he can't understand is... Why??

Why, Dad? Isn't this what you wanted?...

He brushed his face with his hands.

Wasn't it his father who pushed him to do this? Was it not just days ago? When he came by his condo, and told him to marry Gwen for his own interest? Wasn't it his father who works everyday of his life for this company?

It is his father, voting for Luke.

He never expected it. Not even in his wildest imagination. He doesn't even have to wait for the result of the election. He can tell it by now.

His father. Was his ONLY chance. And he lost it. All his plans went up in flames.

He felt lost too.

"Edward.."

When he raised his head, his father is already looking at him, eyes half closed.

"How are you feeling Dad?"

His father just looks at him, without saying anything. Edward waited for him to speak. The room was dimly lighted, but Edward could see his father's eyes tear up. He fought back his own tears from coming.

So you voted for Luke. Why,  Dad. I can't understand. I was willing... I gave all that i can give... If you only knew how.. What I've gone through. Just to do what you want. I even gambled everything i had.. Now. Its. Gone. Just why, did you do this to me?..

Edward wanted to say that. But there is something in his father's face that hinders him from speaking his mind. Something in those old lines..

"Everything went well in the election, don't worry." He said instead, trying to cheer up his voice.