CHAPTER V

The dinner with the Villas was done. And there was nothing remarkable. No talks about marriage. As he had feared. So Edwards thought they just talked freely about it in his absence. Though frequently, he was thrown the question when is he going to get married. Or better question yet, when he is going to get himself a girlfriend. Why, he said to himself. He's just 27 and no reason to hurry. His Dad married her mom at 38.

One thing he noticed though was Gwen's reaction. She would always seem to be lost in deep thoughts, then one moment she would join the conversation in a very animatic mood in full contrast to her previous mood.

He was currently at a cafe, drinking his afternoon coffee. Still office hours though. But he felt like going out a bit. And anyway, he is Edward Barber. As usual, he was sitting at the table near the glass wall. He loves sitting where he can see the passersby.

And speaking of passers by, at the moment, Edward amused himself with a girl. He had noticed her the moment she appeared on the far end of the street. Well he didn't know, he just felt drawn watching her, as an audience would a show.

He thought she was the exact opposite of Gwen when it comes to gracefullness. She walks like tomboy, in faded jeans,  and sneakers. She  was like looking for something inside her sling bag, and for that reason she slowed down her staid, then eventually halting to a stop. She was exactly infront of him at the moment, with her face a little blocked from his view, but what he couldn't help noticing was the hair that fall off from her shoulders.

Her face alightened, probably because she found the thang. And he thought she had a queer way of showing her delight, for she wiggled a dance step, like she couldn't contain her happiness after finding it. Her hand came out of the bag with a little white thing which she put to her ears. A cellphone! And he thought, "its 2017 and she uses a phone that looked like it has time travelled from 20 years ago." And then he thought, what's her business with her anyway. He caught himself smiling.

She started walking but before she did, she turn up her face and their eyes met.

Her jaw dropped, her color gone. Edward automatically stands. A little disconcerted. He doesn't know the girl but he felt one thing in certain: the girl knew her.

But before he could decide what to do, the girl was gone. And Edward found himself staring at the busy street with random passers-by.

"M-Maymay..."

He touched his lips. It just whispered out a name that doesn't even ring a bell.