23 ⇝ distract me, please

» My favourite place
is inside your hug. «

In which the truth is told.

Dedicated to: ClaraPea4 your comment on the last chapter was so kind, it made my day! Thank you! X

A/N ~ didn't get to read chapter 22? It was actually a private chapter. It's pretty essential to the plot, so if you want to read it make sure to follow me and then re-add the book to your library XO

POV: Mackenzie Ziegler
DATE: 27 January 2026

•••

Sunlight. Bright, golden, warm sunlight spills through the cracks in my curtains as my eyes flutter open. Surveying the room, I let a breath fall out of my lips when I take in Johnny and his adorable morning glory. His hair is fluffy, his shirt absent, and his emerald green eyes are flecked with dark colours like black and brown. A colour, I know now, that comes out when he desires or want something.

As his gaze rests on me and the corner of his lip pulls up like a puppet on a string, I realise that the object he desires is me. A smile not unlike his own graces my features.

Banishing the dark thoughts out of my mind, I yawn softly and tuck my head into his chest. "Morning." He greets huskily.

"Morning." I whisper back, voice croaky.

His laugh rumbles in his chest. Without comment, he begins running a hand through my hair, the dark tresses almost glinting gold in the light. I close my eyes in complete and utter bliss, a shiver running down my spine as his fingers wind their way through my messy locks.

I would have been content to stay in his arms for the better part of the morning. It's warm, comfortable, I feel safe and loved.

It gives me a sense of pride and peacefulness to know that this is it; we've overcome every last hurdle keeping us apart. We've overcome the arguments, the tears, the anger. We can finally love.

"God." Johnny starts. "This is all I've ever wanted."

"And now it's going to ripped away." I reply somberly, waking up from the dream-like state I've been in.

"Mackenzie–" He begins carefully, before being interrupted by the door flying open.

A girl bursts in, hair flying out behind her and hazel eyes burning with worry. She lets out a sigh of relief before doing a double take; giving us a surprised look, and then she falls over backwards.

My guess is that she wanted to lean on the wall– only to find that it was at least two metres behind her.

"Lauren!" I choke out, disentangling myself from Johnny. He clasps on to my hand, looking frantically into my eyes, and I let out a breath. In that spilt second, we relax.

"Your missing a shirt." Lauren says to Johnny, incredulous. She then jabs a finger in the air at me, mouth forming an O with her eyebrows almost in her hairline. "So are you– almost."

Johnny and I share a look.

Standing back up again, she smiles a little. "Are you... together now?"