16 ⇝ how will i ever compare to you

» Once the realisation is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them that makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky. «
~ Rainer Maria Rilke

In which Lauren talks a lot.

Dedicated to: Book_kitty123 for being so active on all my stories and leaving amazing comments <3

A/N ~ This chapter has lots of dialogue, and it kinda short I think. Despite this, enjoy! Also, I think I am in love with the quote & song above wow. Please listen to the song before reading the chapter :)

POV: Lauren Orlando
DATE: 20 January 2026

•••

My heels click softly as I walk down the hall quietly, trying not to wake Mackenzie up. My navy suitcase trundles along behind me, holding all the clothes and things I need for my holiday to New York. It's a week long trip where I model, model, model for hours on end. Some people would find it tiring, but my love of fashion will surpass that.

"Hey." I say quietly to John when I reach the kitchen. My eyes take a little to adjust to the dark. He's without a shirt again, but at least this time he's wearing pants.

"Hi." He grins through a mouthful of food. Boys.

I gesture to the empty seats at the breakfast bar and set down my suitcase. "Sit down, I need to talk to you."

"About?" He frowns.

I let my eyes wander to the couch where a certain brunette girl is still sleeping.

"Oh." He breathes, eyes glittering in the dark.

"I'm not like Maddie." I chuckle. "I won't give you a two hour speech on how you're not allowed to hurt her. But I am worried–"

"I have absolutely no intention–"

"I know you don't." I cut him off. "Listen. I'm worried about her health."

"Oh." He breathes again, this time with an absolutely petrified look on his face. "Why?"

"That breakup was hard on her. She's not good mentally, Brandon screwed her up. You saw that. I mean... she was so angry, and you bore the brunt of it, but the angers passed. She's upset now, and having been diagnosed with a serious health condition..."

"Not to mention how tired she is and how bashed she's been getting on social media." Johnny adds, catching on. Suddenly, it sounds like we've both aged twenty years. "I get it. I'll watch out for her."

"You will?" I ask, eyes filling with tears. "Thank you. She means a lot to me... if you weren't here I'd cancel my trip, but I trust you'll probably do better than I will anyway." I then smile, wiping away the tears.

"How will I ever compare to you?" He jokes softly, confusing dancing in his eyes.

"You two have a bond that's incomparable to any two people I've ever seen in my life. You're opposites... she's fire and you're ice, but you make it work. You love everything about each other whether you share the same qualities or not."

We're quiet while he thinks about this. I look away from him to her, to her small body engulfed by our massive couch.

"How did you know?" He whispers through the dark eventually. He doesn't need to elaborate, I know exactly what he's asking.

"I've always known." I smile back, getting up to give him a massive hug. He may be taller, and stronger, darker and more handsome, but he's the same John I've always known. The same kind and caring brother I've had ever since the day I was born.

"I love you." He strokes my hair.

"I love your hugs." I giggle back. He laughs too, and we pull away.

"Feed yourself. Get lots of sleep. Take pictures." He reprimands me. "I expect daily updates Laur."

"Of course." I reply, glancing at our wall clock. "I'll have something to eat, say goodbye to Kenz and then go."

He tells me he's going to have a shower, and I quietly prepare some breakfast for Kenzie and I. Eggs– sunny side up. Toast– plain butter. Fruit salad– grapes for me and no grapes for Mackenzie. Lastly, a mocha for her and a latté for me. Arranging it on a tray, I carefully walk to where she's sleeping. I set the tray down on the coffee table and gently shake her awake.

"Kenz, it's time to get up."

Her eyelids flutter, and a few seconds later she rolls over to face me. She then rubs her face groggily. "Sorry, I must have fallen asleep. Whats for dinner?"

I laugh softly. "It's breakfast time. You slept through the afternoon and the night."

"Wow." She smiles confusedly, hair looking like a haystack. She notices where my eyes have been averted to and throws her dark tresses into a messy bun clumsily. "They told me I'd be tired, but I didn't expect to sleep that much."

I smile and reach to hand her her mocha. She moans. "Thank you, you're the best."

"You're welcome." I reply, sipping the warm liquid. It soothes me from the inside out.

We down our mugs in silence. When we're both finished, I hand her her tray with eggs on toast and fruit salad. She hums appreciatively.

"Thank you for this. And thanks for throwing this old thing on me last night." She shows me the thick blanket covering her shoulders.

I raise an eyebrow interestingly. "You think that was me?"

"Well who else would– oh. Oh." She asks quietly, before finishing her own sentence. A little colour graces her cheeks.

I fight back the urge to smile. These two seem to have a little thing with the word oh. And each other.

"You should thank him." I say, unable to keep the grin off my face for any longer. She grabs a cushion and throws it at me. Unfortunately, I have very good reflexes and after I dodge it the cushion lands right on the tray where a few of the empty dishes crash to the ground.

"What was that?" We hear a distant yell from Johnny.

"Nothing!" We yell back simultaneously, stifling giggles.

•••

[1037 words]