5 ⇝ i wore red today, for you

» Jealousy, the dragon which slays love under the pretence of keeping it alive. «

In which Mackenzie learns that yelling isn't always the best answer.

Dedicated to: hannieismyaesthetic for leaving really sweet comments on like every single chapter hehe.

A/N ~ I think you guys might like this one ;) you'll get to see the bigger picture a little bit more.

POV: Mackenzie Ziegler
DATE: 4 January 2026

•••

It's been days. Two whole days in fact, of me camping out in my room and avoiding Lauren and Johnny like they have an infectious disease.

Not being able to stand these four walls of my bedroom anymore, I invite Brandon out for lunch. He accepts, almost instantly. I suppose he's bored too.

I quickly shower, liking the feel of the water running across my skin and removing all yesterdays impurities. I went for a run at the gym on the treadmills, and came home to find that Johnny had used up all our hot water. So after my half an hour run, I realised I wouldn't be able to shower, and instead had to settle for deodorant. To say I was angry would be a huge understatement; we had a massive fight, and Lauren just managed to break it up before I threw something. And I was thinking of it, mind.

Satisfied, I step out, revelling in the apple scent of my shampoo. It was a Christmas present from my sister who now lives in New York with her family.

After twisting my hair into an elegant topknot, I throw on some white jeans and a dark grey sweater. The stark red boots I'm wearing match the lipstick and the clutch that I'm taking– Brandon never hesitates to tell me that red is my colour. I figure he'll like that I'm wearing it for once, instead of yellow, which I prefer.

When all my belongings are in my clutch bag I walk out and lock my door behind me; something I've been taken to do lately as Johnny's here. I can imagine him sneaking into my room and taking something or messing it up– that won't be happening anytime soon.

Lauren and Johnny are on the couch watching a movie, as I pass them I address Lauren to tell her that I'm going out. Johnny wolf whistles at my outfit, and I scowl at him. He winks, and I pull the finger. Lauren chuckles, and I poke my tongue out.

After the strange ordeal, I'm out the door and hurrying down the hall to the elevator with hatred coursing through my veins. While in the elevator, I snap a mirror selfie and post it to my story with the caption You were my cup of tea, but I drink champagne now.

Which is kind of relevant to my life, I have to admit.

Upon reaching the bottom of our apartment building, I head out the front where I hop into a taxi. The driver asks where I want to go, and turns around. His eyes almost bug out of his head when he realises who I am. I slip off my sunglasses, laughing.

"Yes, I'm Mackenzie Ziegler. I'd like to go to The Pie Hole, if that's not too far."

"Of course." He grins back, still seeming a little shocked. "Would you please be able to sign something for me? I have a daughter, her names Allie, and she's a big fan of your music."