Chapter 3 (Picture of Drew)

CHAPTER 3

Berry's POV

The walk to school had been disturbingly quiet save for the cars on the road.

When I found my way to the huge metal gates and the wooden plaque that signified the huge expanse of buildings before me as Jackson High School I came to a halt. This was it then. I let out a loud sigh and pushed open the metal gates which were thankfully open.

Once inside I glanced around and took a moment to take in the enormous school that encompassed me. Intimidating was the first word that sprung to my mind.

My mother had given me the sheet with her signature and other information but it didn't include a map which was unfortunate considering I was as hopelessly lost as Hansel and Gretel minus the breadcrumbs. I felt like I was trudging into No Man's land as I took a few steps down the concrete path to the school doors.

Any minute now, I thought as I took a frantic scan of my surroundings waiting for someone to jump out and yell surprise. Of course it never happened.

Once I reached the front doors I pulled them open and walked inside the colourfully decorated reception. I sighed with relief when I saw a man sat behind a counter, shuffling through a mountain of paperwork. By the way his hair was a mixture of salt and pepper I assumed he was middle aged. He looked up at me with surprise as I walked towards him, my footsteps slapping against the stone floor that wasn't carpeted as one would normally expect.

"Hello there. Who are you?" He asked with a polite smile once he got over the shock of seeing me.

"HI. I am the new student. My name is Berry Abbencroft"

I smiled back.

"Well Miss Abbencroft you seem to be extremely early. I assume you like school then?"

Blushing I nodded. I was thankful he hadn't commented on my name. It was a new level of unusual.

"I heard you come from England. Do you like it here in Texas?"

He ventured to make light conversation trying not to scare me away. It was beginning to work.

"Yes, I think it's quite different from back home but I like it" I said truthfully.

Despite the heat and the strong southern accents, Texas wasn't wildly different. In fact I could see myself warming up to it pretty fast if given the chance.

A wide grin had stretched across the receptionist's face as I spoke.

"I love that accent of yours" He complemented and I offered a smile in return.

"Since you appear to be a sensible young lady I will let you stay here in the reception until school starts. We don't want you melting in the heat outside now do we?"

He joked as he handed me a sheaf of papers that had been carefully stapled and organised in alphabetical order. The small booklet included my timetable, a map (thankfully) and a list of the equipment I needed.

"Thank you Sir"

"Oh please don't call me 'Sir'. I am Mr Tinley to all the students"

"Well thank you Mr Tinley"

I walked towards one of the many small cushioned chairs that were arranged artfully in the waiting area and set down my booklet and bag. Turning to the map of the school I groaned silently in frustration. One thing I was sure about today was that I would be getting lost multiple times. Unconditionally.

...

It was five minutes to nine and Mr Tinley ushered me out of the reception telling me to have a good first day. I opened the wooden door waved goodbye to the friendly man as I crossed the threshold. Just as I did I bumped into someone taller and bigger than me.