Pick a Side, Any Side

September 19

Jill walked into history on crutches with Matt trailing behind her, carrying her backpack. Instead of going to her seat in the front, she went to the back. Matt followed and put her bag beside her desk as she sat. He looked at the front of the room, where Hayden was sitting. He was conflicted. He could stay with his best friend or stay with his other best friend. Either way, one friend would be pissed. The bell rang as he was thinking.

"Matt take a seat." Mr. McLaughlin said. Matt walked to the middle row and sat down. Neither girl could be mad. This situation was going to be very awkward for him.

———

Jill and Stella sat on the bleachers in the gym together. Stella had told the gym teacher she forgot gym clothes so she wouldn't have to deal with Hayden.

"What happened in history?" Stella asked.

"I sat in the back." Jill replied.

"What about Matt?" Stella asked.

"He sat in the middle. Bitch." Jill said.

"We can't blame him for being conflicted. You both accused each other." Stella stated.

"I don't care! He can't think she's right." Jill said.

"He can't think you're right either. I don't think she is if you left the hospital without any problems." Stella said. Jill sighed, knowing she was right.

———

Stella set her and Jill's lunch trays down at the same time that Hayden set hers down.

"We're not leaving." Stella stated.

"Neither am I." Hayden replied. Alana and Ethan sighed.

"Yes, we are." Matt said, standing up.

"No." Hayden said. Matt looked her in the eyes.

"Yes, we are." He snapped. She sighed. The two began walking away from the table. Stella and Jill sat down and began eating their lunches quietly.

"You guys can't ignore her forever." Alana said.

"Mm, Stella might not but I will." Jill stated.

"Oh yes, I will." Stella said after swallowing a bite of her salad.

"You both have two classes with her. You can't avoid her." Ethan said.

"I'd rather cut class than see that psycho slut again." Jill said, and Stella nodded in agreement.

———

"Well, they're complete assholes." Hayden said as she and Matt sat down at an empty table across the cafeteria.

"Well⏤"

"I mean, seriously, so what I made an accusation?Jill made the same accusation before me! They can't all hate me!" Hayden cut Matt off before he could reply.

"Well, Alana and Ethan chose to stay neutral. Stella and Jill would never be on opposite sides." Matt replied.

"What about you? Who's side are you on?"
Hayden asked. Matt sighed.

"I don't know." Matt stated.

"So you're neutral too." Hayden said.

"I'm not neutral. I just...I'm on your side, but I don't believe Jill is JD." Matt pronounced.

"JD stands for Jill DeVitto." Hayden stated.

"JD stands for John or Jane Doe!" Matt snapped.

"If you're on my side why are you talking to Stella and Jill?" Hayden asked.