The Big Day

December 22

"Happy birthday!" Stella was awoken by her parents and sister bursting through her bedroom door. She groaned and turned onto her side.

"Get up kid, you gotta go to school." Ash said.

"Can I just skip first period? I don't wanna take a history test on my birthday." Stella croaked.

"Fine, but you have to go to second period. You're already missing two classes for your road test." Her mom said.

"You wanna come with me to the basketball game tonight?" Ash asked. She would much rather be with Kane.

"I have plans with Jill and Alana already." Stella lied. She had plans with Kane at night. Her plans with her friends were after school.

"I'm gonna be late to work. I'll call you later." Her dad said.

"Bye." Stella said, before he walked out of her bedroom.

"Do you want breakfast or just coffee?" Her mom asked.

"Coffee." Stella threw the blanket off of her body and sat up.

"Alright." Her mom walked out, but Ash stayed by the door with her arms folded.

"You and Matt gonna hookup tonight?" Ash asked as Stella stood up.

"Uh, no." Stella scoffed.

"So you guys really are done?" Ash asked.

"We've been done since September." Stella said, walking to her closet.

"So who's the mystery guy?" Ash shut the bedroom door.

"What mystery guy?" Stella asked as she began digging through her closet.

"The Guy you're sneaking around with. I know you're not with Jill and Alana every night. Tell me a name." Ash said.

"Uhm, Kane Henderson." Stella didn't move as she spoke. Ash was gonna find out one way or another.

"Wait, what? Henders?" Ash was bewildered.

"Yeah." Stella looked at her.

"He's, what, twenty three?" Ash asked.

"He turned twenty two in September." Stella stated.

"That's not better! Stella, I'm sorry but I can't support you." Ash sighed.

"Are you gonna tell mom and dad now?" Stella wondered.

"No, but I still don't like this. If they find out, it's all on you and I didn't know you were dating." Ash said.

"Thank you." Stella said. Ash didn't respond before walking out of Stella's bedroom. Great, now Stella had to worry about another person leaking her secret.

———

"Hey Lanzi." Wesley grinned as he stood over Alana's desk.

"Uh, bye." Alana looked up at him.

"Just saying hi, can I do that?" Wesley asked.

"No." Alana stated.

"C'mon, Lanzi. We both know you don't hate me. I never did anything to you." Wesley replied.

"Just because I don't hate you doesn't mean I like you." Alana stated.

"Wesley, take a seat." Mrs. Sperling said. Wesley sat down at the desk beside Alana.

"I'm having a party Friday. I wanna see you there." Wesley whispered. Alana looked at him with a blank stare.

"I have a boyfriend." Alana stated.