The Search Begins

September 23

Matt was awoken by banging on his back door. He leapt out of bed and swung open the glass door. Bryan walked in.

"Where's Hayden?" Bryan asked.

"I don't know, why?" Matt asked. He was still half asleep and only wearing black joggers. His hair was disheveled and his eyes were half closed.

"She didn't come home last night and she's not home now. She won't answer her phone either." Bryan snapped.

"What do you mean she didn't come home last night? Where was she?" Matt asked.

"That party you went to. You didn't see her, did you?" Bryan asked.

"I didn't go. I went to see Stella to talk to her without Hayden knowing." Matt replied sheepishly.

"Then where the hell is she!" Bryan snapped.

"I don't fucking know! Why?" Matt responded sleepily.

"She would've called if she wasn't coming home so our parents wouldn't flip. My mom is so pissed." Bryan said.

"I'll stop by Mountain, Bolton, and Cummins." Matt said. Stella and Jill's, Alana's and Ethan's streets, respectively.

"I'm gonna go into town." Bryan said, before walking out the door. Matt grabbed his hockey hoodie off the ground and slid it over his head. He grabbed his Timbs and slid them on before grabbing his keys off his desk and rushing out the back door. He gently shut it behind him and jogged to the front of his house. He climbed into his truck and shut the door before starting the car and pulling out of the driveway. He knew Hayden wouldn't be at Stella or Jill's houses, but he was going to check anyways. Alana was only a five minute drive away, just on the other side of the high school. He parked on the street in front of her house and climbed out before running up to the front door. He gently knocked on the door and waited. It didn't take long before the door opened. Her father stood there, clearly having been awake for a while. At least Matt did wake him.

"Hey, is Alana home?" Matt asked.

"Alana." Her father turned and called back into the house. Alana walked over wearing a white tee and sweatpants with a cup of coffee in her hand.

"Hey." She said. Her father disappeared back inside.

"Is Hayden here?" Matt asked.

"No, why?" She replied, sipping her coffee.

"Bryan says she went to a party last night. I went to drop off beer but decided to leave to go see Stella. Hayden didn't come home." Matt explained.

"I haven't seen or heard from her." Alana said. Matt sighed.

"Let's go." Matt said. Alana turned around and slid her feet into her moccasins.

"I'll be back in a little bit." Alana said.

"Okay." Her dad replied. Alana walked out and shut the door behind her. She and Matt walked to his truck and got in. Matt began speeding down the road.

"Slow down!" Alana demanded.

"No!" Matt snapped. Alana sighed as Matt kept speeding.

———

Ethan flung open his door as it was banged on. Alana and Matt both stood there. Ethan had just gotten back from his morning jog and was exhausted.

"What?" Ethan snapped.

"Where's Hayden?" Alana asked.

"I don't know, why?" Ethan asked.

"She didn't come home from a party last night or this morning. Her family is worried." Matt said.