The Truth Comes Out

October 22

Ethan sat on Jill's couch as Jill was in the kitchen, brewing coffee. Alana was sitting beside him on her phone and Stella was lying in the chair beside him.

"Jesus where the fuck is he!" Stella jumped out of the chair as Alana called Matt and put her phone to her ear. It was the third time she had called him. Stella had tried him four times, and Jill and Ethan both called him once. Matt did not show up to the vigil Hayden's family hosted. Afterwards, the five friends stopped at Matt's house, but he wasn't home, according to his parents.

"I'm just gonna go to his house and grab him." Ethan stood up.

"Wait," Alana held up a finger as she listened to the ringing.

"You have reached—" Alana sighed as she ended the call.

"Go." Alana said.

"I'll come." Stella said. The two walked to the front door and walked out. Alana sighed when the door shut.

"Lucille will be home any minute now, they better get back fast. She's bringing her boyfriend." Jill said.

"Lucille has a boyfriend?" Alana raised an eyebrow.

"Don't ask me, I haven't met him yet." Jill replied as she grabbed the pot of coffee and began to fill cups.

"Is it just me or did Stella seem hungover?" Alana asked.

"Oh she absolutely was," Jill nodded. "she said she was hanging out with Ash last night. Ash doesn't let Stella get drunk, just tipsy."

"We could ask her about it." Alana said.

"Another thing we have to ask her about." Jill said as she grabbed two sugar packets and tore them open. She poured the contents into her cup and grabbed a small container of cream and poured it into her cup before grabbing a spoon and stirring her coffee. Jill's phone lit up on the coffee table. Jill leaned over and looked at it.

"Fuck." Jill grabbed it as soon as she saw 'blocked.'

Silly Jilly,

We both know that you want to believe your best friend, but you can't believe liars or cheaters. Or sluts.

J. DOE

Alana looked over Jill's shoulder and read the text. Both looked at each other, as they were both speechless.

"Are they listening to us?" Alana asked.

"No shot. Just good timing." Jill replied.

"So Stella's lying, cheating, and she's a slut?" Alana looked back at the phone.

"Well we all know she's a slut, even though we love her, it's true, but lying and cheating?" Jill raised an eyebrow. Both girls knew she was lying about her whereabouts, but cheating?

———

Ethan banged on the sliding glass door leading to Matt's bedroom. Stella stood behind him with her arms crossed. She rolled her eyes and opened the door. She pushed the curtain aside and walked in.

"Matthew!" Stella shouted. Ethan followed her in. The lights were off, but they could still see Matt lying in his bed, staring at the ceiling. His face was in desperate need of a shave and his hair was shaggier and longer than normal, as he stopped taking care of himself in recent weeks.

"Dude." Ethan said.

"Matt, are you okay?" Stella asked. Matt blinked away tears.

"Matt get up, we need to talk about Hayden." Matt's attention was peaked