Right Place, Wrong Time

October 26

MATT

Heavy metal music echoed through the neighborhood as Jill and I slowly drove down Deer Path. It wasn't that dark out, but there were always little Erickson's running around. Chris was the second oldest of thirteen kids. The third oldest was five years younger than Chris and the rest were much younger. They ranged from one to twenty six. Chris' uncle and his family also lived on Deer Path. Chris had eight cousins, all under the age of thirteen, just down the street.

"There." I pointed to the ramshackle, one story house. It was astonishing that fifteen people lived there. Jill pulled over across the street and shut her car off before we climbed out.

"We're just gonna ask him if we've seen him. No other questions." Jill said.

"Okay." I said. She probably knew I wasn't going to listen and I was going to ask Chris why Stella hit him. He probably made up a bullshit excuse so Aunt Principal wouldn't have to be asked by her brother why she suspended his son. Jill and I walked across the yard, towards the house that was the source of the heavy metal music, which came from the open garage. We walked inside to see Chris bench pressing a barbell with two ten pound plates on each side. Wimp.

"Chris!" Jill shouted. He racked the bar as he saw us. He got up and turned down the speakers, but kept the music on a low volume.

"What the fuck are you two doing here?" He asked as he grabbed an open beer off of one speaker.

"Have you seen Stella?" I asked as he sipped his beer.

"Not since she punched me." He pulled the beer away from his lips. There was dried blood under his nose and his nose was bruised and swollen. Damn, Stella was pissed. She had to have had a good reason to punch Chris that hard.

"What'd you do to her?" I asked.

"Matt." Jill glared at me.

"I asked to borrow her fucking sheet music and she turned and hit me. She's fucking crazy." Chris said as he wiped sweat from his forehead with the palm of his hand.

"What'd you really do, because Stella would never hurt a fly?" I inquired.

"Nothing." I could see the corners of his mouth perk up as he turned around.

"Chris, what the fuck did you do to Stella?" Jill snapped. She saw his smile as well and could tell he was lying.

"I could tell she wanted me, but she didn't want to believe it and figured it was better to punch me than admit the truth." He was grinning when he turned back around to face Jill and I.

"Where is she?" I demanded.

"I haven't seen her!" He replied without flinching. He wasn't lying, he really didn't know where she was.

———

ETHAN

Hyder Peak was not a fun place to be after the sun sets. Nobody was there, but I felt my phone buzz in my pocket. I slid it out and looked at the text.

Ethan Doe,

Ready for mission #3? I left you a present under the Love Tree.

J. DOE

Love Tree probably meant the old, dying willow tree that everyone carved their initials and their significant other's initials into. I walked over to the tree and walked around it. There was a black hoodie and a black beanie sitting under the tree, neatly folded.

Ethan Doe,

You know what to do, put on the uniform.

J. DOE