Wine is the Best Cure for Sadness

September 17

"Have I ever mentioned how hot you look in that varsity jacket? Cause damn." Stella laughed as Matt walked into her house. He smiled softly, but it faded shortly. "You can just leave your shoes and jacket here."

"I can't stay long." Matt said.

"Aw. Why not?" Stella asked.

"You're not gonna like what I have to say. But I have to say it because I can't lie to you." Matt said.

"Matt what's wrong? You're worrying me." Stella swallowed hard.

"I hooked up with Hayden." Matt blurted out.

"Matt...I don't understand. Why? When?" Stella whimpered, on the verge of tears.

"She came over last night and was going to tell me she loved me. I beat her to it because it's true. I love her." Matt said.

"Y-you love her?" Stella spat out. She was angry, confused, and heartbroken all at once.

"We've been best friends since before I can remember. It only makes sense—"

"So I'm not good enough because I haven't known you as long?" Stella asked.

"No! That's not what I'm saying!" Matt sighed.

"So what are you saying?" Stella asked.

"I don't know!" Matt said.

"You should go." Both turned to see Ash standing behind Stella with her arms folded. Matt sighed and turned around, opened the front door, walked out and shut the door behind him. Stella immediately broke down in tears once the door shut. Ash embraced her and held her close.

"Come on. He's a douche. Would a glass of wine make you feel better?" Ash asked. Stella laughed softly and nodded.

"Alright. We have a bottle of red wine in the pantry I'll go get it." Ash said as she released Stella.

———

Jill couldn't help herself but to watch the video on repeat. She watched as Hayden stumbled into him. She was all over him. Kissing him all over. He had his shirt off and shortly after, she did as well. They were kissing for a solid thirty seconds before he picked her up, walked to the bed, and dropped her on it, out of the camera's view. It was her seventh time watching it. She closed the video and looked at the message once again.

Poor Jill,

Stuck in a hospital, clueless that Hayden moved off of her ex-boyfriend and onto Matt. Wesley must be heartbroken.

-j. doe (cute nickname)

Jill was lied to. Hayden and Wesley hooked up that night, not just kissed. And now Hayden and Matt hooked up? What was wrong with Hayden? Moving in on her friends' boyfriends? She quickly dialed Stella's number. It rang a couple times and Stella finally picked up.

"We need to talk." Jill said, before Stella could greet her.

"Okay, what?" Stella asked. She sniffled.

"Are you okay?" Jill frowned.

"No, not at all. Matt and I just broke up. He hooked up with Hayden. He loves her. Not me." Stella cried.

"Oh, Stells, I'm so sorry. I never thought of Matt as that type of douchebag. I'd come over to your house right now with some Chocolate Fudge Brownie and High School Musical 1 and 2 but I'm stuck at the hospital for another few days." Jill said. Stella sniffled.