Chapter 3, Part 2

WE LEFT THE cinema after the movie was finished although I would have liked it to be during the movie because I was bored. Rian seemed to love it. As we were leaving, she couldn't stop talking about it.

But then she stopped. She was staring straight ahead and her eyes widened dramatically. Her jaw dropped and for a minute I thought she just witnessed someone being murdered. When I looked in the direction in which she was staring, I realized it was just Jonny.

Why was he here? I thought I would be able to have a cool Saturday night with just my girlfriend and cheesy romcoms. Although, for most of the night the only thing I could think about was him and his sexuality.

I couldn't help it. I was curious. But apparently my curious questions are considered as homophobia. All I want to know is how? How did he realize it? Did he just wake up one morning and found himself liking guys? He says its been part of him since childhood but it still just doesn't make sense. How can he say that? Is he trying to suggest that as a kid he thought about other little boys? That's stupid. Children are innocent. They don't know about gay and straight.

God, I don't get this. I don't get it.

"Jonny!" Rian almost broke my ear drum with her screech. She ran to him and wrapped her arms around him happily. If I didn't know any better I'd say something was going on there. But I know he's into guys and she's into me.

I slowly walked to the scene, feeling a tad awkward. He hates me; she likes him; am I supposed to just stand here and watch on? I sighed softly, and somehow that drew attention to myself. Admittedly, I did get a strange feeling that maybe Jonny was just waiting to cuss me out. One second passed. Two seconds. Three. Then four. And nothing like that happened.

Instead he smiled at me. "Hey man."

"Hey." I replied then looked down.

"What's the matter with you two?" Rian laughed softly.

"Nothing." I said to her but kept my eyes on his brown ones. He rose his brows questioningly at me and I nodded my head slightly, barely even noticeable. But he got it. I don't even know what I was trying to say, but he got it. What does that mean? Are we friends again? Are we not friends for good? What does that mean? What does that mean, Jonny?

I remained in the background for a while as they spoke to each other. I felt like a child in the supermarket when their parents met up with old friends. All they want to do is continue shopping, but their parents have other thoughts. All I want to do is walk away. I want to go home now. The date was great, I got to spend time with my girlfriend and that's all that matters really. Now we can leave. I don't know what Jonny is doing.

When Rian and Jonny Cooper finally walked away from each other, I let out a sigh of relief. I could have sworn they would have taken each other home. Rian came back to me with a grin.

"I think he's going on a date. He didn't say with who." She said to me. "But its like so late right now. My mother would never allow me to come out at this time on a date." Rian spoke and the only thing in my mind was Jonny, again.

He's going on a date! There is another gay guy here? What? I didn't know that.

Eventually I said to Rian, "Because you're a girl." I needed a distraction. And I'm certain this would impel her to argue with me. Which is what I need.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing." I said.

"You're so sexist." She spat and began to walk ahead of me. I could easily catch up to her, but I don't really want to. I actually want to go back to the cinema and find Jonny and his date. I would like the see the guy who he took out, or who took him out or whatever (I don't even know how that works). Maybe he's some skinny, shrimpy looking guy, who barely has enough meat on his body to feed a cockroach; or maybe he's a large guy, someone with a body like The Rock or Vin Diesel; or maybe he's with an average looking guy. I wonder what movie they're watching. If its the same movie Rian and I watched. An action movie was also showing, and a horror, maybe they watched one of those.