Chapter 1: Snow Days

Life After Arcadia went under some editing to make it a better written story. Some changes were made, but the rest was kept the same. Enjoy! Cover art by Maarika on Deviantart.

Present Day. Friday, December 12th, 2014, 3:45 p.m.

The door opened. Letting in the cold breeze and some snow. In walked Chloe Price. She had just arrived from her job as a shelf stocker at Walmart. The place seemed to be empty as neither Ryan or Vanessa has come home from their own jobs. Who are the parents of Chloe's wonderful girlfriend. Max Caulfield. Who had yet to come home from her job as well.

Chloe's POV

I flopped down onto the couch and sighed.

Well shit. I'm fired. That's my third job I was fired from. Well, the first two were complete shit so I left them. The Caulfield's definitely won't be happy with me since they're the ones who pushed Max and I to get these jobs. But my hella awesome girlfriend will defend me from the wardens. And maybe because of that, I'll repay her with some special treatment later...

The door opened and in came one of the hottest girls I ever laid eyes on. Max looks so cute with her scarf and jacket. Her cheeks and nose were all red. I stood up and walked over to her. "Hey." She greeted me, still taking her jacket off. Aside from her good looks and adorableness, I was still stressed about work and wrapped her into a hug.

"Chloe? What's wrong?" She asked as she returned the hug. I didn't answer her. I parted from her and sighed. "I got fired." Her eyes widen. "What?" I nodded. "Yeah." Max looked at me with so much guilt. "Chloe, that's the third job you-" "Lost? Yeah, I know that." I walked back to the couch and dropped myself into the cushions. I hung my head and leaned my forearms on my legs. Sighing heavily. Max sat beside me and brought me into her arms. Bringing me closer to her.

"I'm sorry, Chloe. I know it's been hard to keep these jobs. Especially since we actually never did finish school." I leaned into her. I just needed her with me. "You know, my manager hasn't been happy with my performance this past week..." Max said. "And?" I questioned. "He fired me too. So we're both jobless." She said.

"That doesn't make things better." I said. "We're falling into the same issue my mom and I ran into. Money's getting tight, Max. It's not good." She didn't respond. She was probably just as stressed as I was.

"Let's not worry about that now. Let's just spend time together. Hang out. Like we used to."

"As pirates?" I questioned.

Max smiled. "Exactly like pirates." Max confirmed. "Can we be sexy pirates?" I said. "As sexy as we'd like." Max said to me. I pressed my lips to hers and kissed her. I felt Max grin against our kiss and my beanie was quickly slipped off my head.

"Hahaha! I got your treasure now!" She said to me. "Oh, you just made a big mistake." I told her. Max gripped her hip and held out my beanie. "Come and get it." She said, grinning toward me. I quickly stood up and raced toward her. Max quickly turned to the stairs and ran. I chased her up the stairs and into one of the rooms.

"Trapped now." I told her. "Oh really?" Max said to me. "Think fast!" Max said and threw my beanie at me. It hit my face and I couldn't see anything. All I could hear was Max racing passed me and down the stairs. I grabbed one of our old toy swords and crept down the stairs.

Max's POV

I waited for Chloe to come down the stairs. I saw her black boots slowly walking down the stairs. She had one of our old swords with her. She gripped the sword with both hands.

"Maaaax. Come out, Max." She said. "You have no idea what you just started and you must be punished." I tried so hard not to laugh. "I'm going to make you walk the plank..." She said. I gripped a toy dagger in my hand. Chloe turned her back toward me. I crept out of my spot and snuck behind her.

"Don't think you can hide all damn day."

"I don't plan on it." I said behind her and brought the blade to her throat. "I may have no idea what I started, but... you have no idea what I'm capable of..." I said. Chloe grinned to herself.

"Why don't you show me?" She said. I pressed my body against hers. "Maybe I will." I dropped the toy dagger and wrapped my arms around her waist and we started swaying together. After a few moments, Chloe turned in my arms and faced me. "I surrender." She said. I smiled and leaned close to her face. "Good choice." I told her.

As we swayed, Chloe asked, "What are we going to say to your parents?" I thought for moment. "I'm not sure. We'll deal with them later. For now, let's just enjoy the rest of the day together." I told her. "I'm okay with that." Chloe said. I brought Chloe into a hug.

"I love you."

"I love you too, Max."

I kissed her cheek and parted from her. "We should watch a movie." I said to her. Chloe smiled at me. "I'm all for that, Mad Max. What do you wanna watch?" She asked. "We could watch that movie Warren and Daniel told us to watch. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes." I suggested.

"Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that!"

"Yes, that one." I said. "Awesome sauce. I'll get us some popcorn." Chloe said. "And I'll get the movie popped in!" I added.

Chloe walked to the kitchen to make us some popcorn. I turned on the TV and blu-ray player. Warren and Daniel recommended us to watch Dawn of the Planet of the Apes when they saw it in theaters. Which played in theaters just this past July. Chloe managed to grab us a copy when she was on her lunch break.

After switching the input to the blu-ray, I grabbed the movie and put it in. Chloe came back with our popcorn and some drinks. "Looks like I beat you, Maxi Pad." She said. "This was a competition?" I asked. Chloe winked at me. "You know how I roll..." She told me. Chloe put the bowl and our drinks down on the coffee table.

Once we were cozy with each other, we started the movie.