Chapter 21: Yeager Support

Sunday, December 21st, 5:48 p.m.

Max's POV

I was lying on the bed watching Shaun of the Dead that was on TV. I really needed to talk to someone. I remembered that Caden gave Chloe and I his number in case we ever wanted to hang out. I pulled out my phone and called him. It rang for a few seconds before he answered.

"Hey Max. What's up?" Caden greeted. "Hi Caden. I hope I'm not interrupting anything." I said. "Oh no, you're all good. I'm just babysitting my younger sister." He told me. "Oh, you never mentioned her." I said to him. "Yeah, her name is Alice." He said.

"Hey! I hear you talking about me!" A girls voice said.

"Yeah, I am. Now get." Caden told her. "Anyway, what's up?" He asked. "Just watching Shaun of the Dead on TV." I told him. "How's Chloe doing?" He asked. I felt my face grow heavy as I frowned. "That's why I actually called. Caden, Chloe and I aren't talking." I told him.

"Oh. So that's what that was about last night." Caden said. I felt my heart start beating faster.

"What was?" I asked. "I actually ran into Chloe last night. I thought it was weird you weren't with her and asked her about it. She gave me one of the scariest glares I've ever seen in my life." He said. I sighed. "Yeah, sorry about that." I said. "But yes. Chloe is mad at me." "Is it too much to ask why?" He asked. "If it's cool, I'd like to keep it private." I told him.

"Cool. I don't want to interfere so I won't ask." He said.

"That's actually why I called." I said. "I just needed someone to talk to about it. I already spoke to my friend Kate about it."

"Oh, yeah I'll talk with you for a bit." He said. "Thank you. I know we only met once, but you don't seem bad Caden." I told him. "Well thanks man. I'm glad I give off that vibe." He said. "I just want Chloe to talk to me. I really miss her." I told him. "She won't answer my calls or my texts. She's just avoiding me."

"Well, I'm no expert when it comes to relationships, but I know from time to time, slip ups happen."

"But not like this Caden. Slip ups like this don't happen. This is more of a mistake than a slip up." I told him.

I tried so hard not to cry. I can't embarrass myself with Caden on the phone. He's a Yeager. One of the most well known and wealthiest family's in Dellwood. I can't have him thinking I'm weak.

"Well, I know this kinda going against my words, but it might be easier to tell me." He said. I took a deep breath. And nodded. "Okay. Well... Chloe and I went to a nightclub on Friday. We had a few drinks and things escalated. I... I started kissing one of Chloe's old friends and she saw us. She's been mad at me ever since and isn't speaking to me." Caden was silent on his side.

"Caden?"

"Shit. I'm sorry, Max. That really sucks." He said. "I'm sorry you had to tell me that."

"I should have listen to Kate." I said. "She warned me this might happen. And it did. And it's my fault." I told him. "Don't blame yourself Max. I know you feel that way, but it only makes it worse." He said. "Do you have any other friends in Dellwood other then this 'Kate'?" He asked. "Well... my friend Warren is here for a convention. Daniel is visiting his grandmother here. And I guess now you." I told him.

"Do they know?" He asked. "No. Kate said she'd try to talk to them about it." I told him. "Well I'm sorry to hear you're in that situation." He said. "I'm really, really scared Chloe might break up with me." I told him. "I love her so much, Caden. I can't lose her."

"I'm sure you won't, Max. I don't know the history between you two, but if you're together now, you must have known each other for a while." He said. "We have. For nearly our whole lives. That's why I'm scared of losing her. She's my oldest friend. She was my best friend, and now she's the love of my life." I told him. "I understand. I'd be scared too." He said. "I'm sorry if I'm sounding weak right now." I said.

"No Max. I completely understand you're scared. I'll try to help you the best I can. Next time I see Chloe, I'll see what I can do." He said.

"I just don't want her to feel like we're ganging up on her." I said. "I don't want her to feel outnumbered."

"I understand Max. I don't know your friends or anything, but I can assure you, we'll help you and Chloe anyway we can." He said. I smiled to myself. "Thank you Caden. I appreciate that." I told him. "No problem, Max. Anyway, I gotta go. Alice wants me to play a game with her and she's one of the people who doesn't take no for an answer." He said. I chuckled and said, "You go do that Caden." "See ya Max." He said. "Bye." I hung up and sighed.

Caden is such a cool person. I'm glad to call him a friend. I hope Chloe didn't scare him too much last night. I hope I can talk to her soon. I really miss her. She's so special to me. Even if she's mad at me, I can't hold that against her because it is my fault I let myself lose control. But I'm not going to stop trying. I'm not giving up on her. I hope she'll see how much she means to me. Because she means everything to me. Losing her isn't an option to me. Never.

I walked over to the hanger and put my jacket on and slipped my feet into my shoes. I was going out. I can't stay in this room much longer. It's just too painful. Knowing that Chloe was with me just a few days ago. Sleeping beside me. When I could claim her as mine. Wrapping my arms around her when she was sleeping beside me. Listening to her soft breaths. I hope I'll be able to do that again soon.

I opened the door and exited the room. Softly closing the door behind me.