Chapter 20: In Need of a Friend

"So what's going on, Max?" Kate asked as she sipped her coffee. Max looked at her and slouched in her seat. Sighing. "Chloe's not talking to me." Max said. "Why not?" Kate asked. "Because I messed up..." Kate's eyebrows slightly raised. "I should have listened to you that night. Maybe if I did, I wouldn't have screwed up."

Kate put her coffee on the table and sat forward. "Hey... talk to me." She said softly. Max started crying and leaned her face into her hands. Kate's eyes widen as she realized this was serious.

"Hey, don't cry Max. I'm right here." Kate said with a gentle tone. Max shook her head. "I kissed someone Kate. I lost control and started kissing someone." Kate nodded understandingly. She knew where Max was coming from because she was in the same situation at Blackwell when she was filmed kissing people at the Vortex Club.

"Chloe saw me and she left. She hasn't spoken to me since." Max told her.

"Oh Max, I'm so sorry." Kate told her. "That's a terrible situation to be in." Max looked up at Kate. "I love her so much, Kate. I don't want her to leave me." She whimpered.

"I'm sure she won't, Max. You and Chloe have a strong bond. I'm positive that in a few days, she'll come around and talk." Kate said. Max continued crying in her hands.

"Max. Look at me." Kate said in a soft tone. Max looked at Kate. Tears slipping from her eyes. "You helped me at Blackwell. Now it's my turn to help you." Kate told her. "Whatever you need, I'm right here." Max smiled weakly at her. "Thank you Kate. I appreciate that." She said. "Anytime Max. And you also have Warren and Daniel to go to. I'm sure they'll help you in anyway they can." Kate said.

Max nodded. "You're right. But how will all of this get me Chloe back?" She questioned.

"We'll see if we can talk to her. Then we can all meet up." Kate said. "Don't worry Max. You and Chloe will be together in no time." Kate assured her, smiling at her. Seeing Kate's smile made Max smile. Kate had one of the most beautiful and assuring smiles. Kate softly rubbed Max's knuckles.

"So how are we?" She asked.

"Feeling better." Max said. "But I'm still worried Chloe's going to break up with me."

"Like I said, Max. I'll talk to Warren and Daniel and see what they can do. We'll try to bring you two together and we can all talk."

"What if it doesn't work?" Max asked. "Trust me. It will Max. You and Chloe have known each other for pretty much your whole lives. There's no way she won't take that into consideration." Kate told Max. "I'm sure she's thinking about you right now..." She said.

"I hope you're right." Max said to her. "Do you wanna come stay with me, tonight?" Kate asked. "You're probably lonely at the hotel." Max shook her head. "No. I'll be okay." Kate nodded. "Okay. Well if you ever need me, just call me. Okay?" Max smiled.

"I will. Thank you Kate."

"Of course, Max. And if I can't get to you, call Warren or Daniel." Max nodded. "Thanks for talking to me Kate. I really needed someone to talk to."

"Max, you're my best friend. I'll come see you anytime." Kate told her.

Chloe was still sitting in her hotel room. Depressed, angry and severely jealous. She took another drink of her beer and stood up. She grabbed the remote and turned the TV on. She flipped through several channels and found nothing interesting to watch.

She hasn't left the room since she got there. It was so hard to even look at Max when she went to grab her stuff. Seeing her passed out on the bed. Knowing what she did just a few hours ago that night.

Chloe realized she was clutching the remote tightly in her hand and let it drop on the floor.

Chloe sat on the bed and rubbed her temples. The stress and depression was giving her headaches. She ran her fingers through her blue hair and lied down onto her bed. She lit another cigarette and put it between her lips. She put her hand behind her head and breathed the smoke out.

This was around the time some weed would be great. But Chloe didn't have any contacts. And Frank was probably dead. Chloe's phone started ringing. Still looking at the ceiling, Chloe sprawled her hand around the bed. Trying to grab her phone. She grabbed it and checked who it was. David was calling. Chloe sighed and sat up and answered.

"Hello?" She said.

"Hello Chloe. How are you?" David said. "I'm fine, David." Chloe told him. "Really? That tone of yours is telling me a different story."

Chloe sighed. "You wouldn't understand." She told him. "Try me. What's going on, Chloe?" David asked. "It's none of your business. Can we stop talking now?" Chloe said. "Chloe, wait-" Chloe hung up on David and threw herself on the bed. Tears leaked down the side of her face.

She was still having trouble accepting what happened with Max. She was devastated and heartbroken. The depression was settling in. Chloe curled up on the bed and closed her eyes. Not even bothering to cover herself up in the blankets.

Chloe was all alone.

And she was fine with it. She was used to being alone. She was alone for years before she became friends with Rachel. Another person Chloe felt betrayed by. It was the depression that made Chloe feel angry with Rachel again. Chloe blamed the world for the way she ended up. She wanted everything and everyone to go to hell. Chloe would have done much worse to Eliot if it weren't for her pure heartbreak. Chloe soon dozed off and fell asleep.

(Chloe's Dream)

Everyone danced in slow motion. I walked through the crowds of smiling people. They looked so happy. I saw Max still sitting at the counter. I walked up to her with a happy smile.

"Okay, Max. You ready fo-"

"Oh Chloe... you really think I'm in love with you? Why would anyone ever love someone like you?" Max said, still facing away. "What?" I questioned her. Max turned around. She grinned at me and stood from her seat.

"What ever did I see in you?" She questioned, taking steps toward me. "You're nothing but a low life, high school dropout, loser. Even Warren is cooler than you." Max told me.

"Max..."

"Do you really think Rachel ever loved you? She just used you. She manipulated you into her own personal puppet." Max told me. I shook my head. "You were just another shadow she dawned upon. You meant nothing to her. And you mean nothing to me!" Max said.

"Max, please don't say that." I said with a head shake. Max reached behind her and pulled out a knife.

"Max, wait." She grinned widely and stabbed the knife into my stomach. "Ugh!" Max lowered me into her arms and lied my head on her lap. Running her fingers through my hair. "Shhhh... go to sleep, Chloe. Go to sleep." She whispered. My eyes slowly started to close. The last thing I saw was Max's devilish grin.

Chloe woke up in a cold sweat. Panting heavily. That was a horrible dream. The TV was still on from earlier. Chloe sat up and slid to the edge of the bed. Placing her face in her hands. Sighing heavily. Letting the depression settle in even deeper.

Chloe's POV

I hate being in this state. It's so fucking shitty. And that goddamn dream didn't help one fucking bit. I need to splash some water on my face. I lifted myself off the bed and walked to the washroom and turned on the lights.

I look so sleep deprived. My skin is pale and I have bangs under my eyes. Not a good look. I filled my hands with water under the tap and splashed my face. Running my fingers down my face. I let out a sigh.

I'm not in a good place. I'm depressed, sleep deprived, everything about me. How did Max even stay with me for this long? She probably saw the piece of shit I am and left me for Eliot. They're probably smooching over the hills right now.

I felt my fists clenching and my face was starting to heat up. I need to get the hell out of this room. I stepped out of the washroom and saw just how depressing the room looked. No lights on. Complete darkness. Just the shine of the TV.

I got my jacket on and grabbed my beanie and left my room. Not even bothering to turn off the TV and washroom light.