Chapter 19: Fallout

Saturday, December 20th, 11:32 a.m.

Max slowly grew conscious. She opened her eyes and groaned. Running her hands over her face.

Max's POV

What the hell happened last night? I knew we would get drunk.

I looked over and saw that Chloe wasn't in bed with me. I sat up and looked around. Seeing the TV was turned on. How did I get to the hotel? I remember someone named Anna but that's about it. I have a killer headache and feel sick. I grabbed my phone sitting on the end table beside me and opened my messages to text Chloe.

M- Babe where are you?

Chloe didn't respond to me. Maybe she's out doing something. But she usually answers me in seconds. I frowned and sighed and put my phone on the end table and went to the bathroom to shower. I closed the door and started taking my clothes off.

I entered the shower and turned the water on. In my hungover state, feeling the hot water on my body felt nice. I let the water hit my face and started and washing myself.

I wrapped the towel around myself and left the washroom to dry my hair with the hairdryer the hotel room provided. After drying myself and my hair, I got dressed in a black t-shirt, blue jeans and white socks. I lied down on the bed and grabbed my phone. Chloe must have responded by now.

M- Babe where are you?

Was all that I saw.

Chloe didn't respond. I was starting to worry. Did I do something last night? Did we fight? I called her and raised the phone to my ear and waited. It just kept ringing. I lowered my phone and placed my feet on the floor. Placing my face in my hands. Suddenly, my phone rang. I quickly looked and saw Chloe's name pop up. I quickly answered the phone.

"Chloe! Baby, where are you?"

"Don't. You dare. Call me that."

My heart jumped in my chest. "What?" I questioned her. "Chloe, why would you say that?" I asked her. "Did you forget? What the hell you did last night?" She said. I stood up on my feet and walked around the room.

"Chloe, I don't know what happened last night, but I'm so sorry. For whatever I did, I'm so, so sorry!" I told her.

"You don't even remember, do you?" Chloe said. "You have no idea how much that hurts me, Max."

I pressed my hand to my forehead. "Let me spell it out for you then!" Chloe told me. "You kissed someone. And no. Not someone random. Eliot fucking Hampden! You remember that asshole? Yeah, that's who you fucking made out with, Max!" I couldn't believe it. I made out with Eliot? Chloe's old friend?

"Chloe, please. Just come see me and talk to me." It was silent on her end. "Baby?" I said to her.

"... I can't Max. I fucking can't. Not after last night. I can't even look at you." Chloe said. It sounded like she was about to cry.

"Chloe, please. Just come see me. I love you. You're my girlfriend!" I said but Chloe just hung up shortly after. I looked at my in phone disbelief. My heart was racing. "No." I called Chloe again but she didn't pick up. I texted her after.

M- Babe please. I'm so so sorry! I love you so much.
M- Please answer me!
M- Chloe? Please!

Chloe was ignoring every one of my texts. She wasn't going to answer me. Everything inside me broke and started shutting down. I messed up big time. I fell to my knees and started crying. I loved Chloe so much. I can't lose her now.

She's everything to me. She's my world. My beautiful punk. My girlfriend.

And all that was starting to disappear because I made a stupid mistake and made out with Eliot. And now I'm going to lose her.

Chloe sat in her new room in a separate hotel from Max's. Drinking and smoking cigarettes. She was so jealous and angry. She wanted to avoid Max at all costs. Her worst fear was Max cheating on her or leaving her. And that fear came to life the other night. So Chloe didn't want anything to do with Max.

Chloe's POV

Everyone... in this world... always lets me down. Never in a million years would I think Max would do this to me. Why do I keep losing everyone I love? First my dad. Then Rachel. My mom. And now Max?

I couldn't contain my emotions inside any more longer. I started crying. I cried harder than I ever have in my life. I threw the beer bottle against the wall and punched the bed.

"Fuck!" I punched the bed again and again. My phone started ringing again. I grabbed my phone and rejected her call. Showing her I didn't want to talk to her and to just leave me the fuck alone.

Why does everyone I love always fuck me over? Rachel sucked everyone off at Arcadia Bay and was just a big fucking slut behind my back! Now Max kisses and makes out with Eliot! I can't ever love anyone again. Because all they do is fuck me over.

Why is my life so fucked up? What did I ever do to anyone to deserve this? I'd be better off if Max just left Nathan to kill me at Blackwell. Because no one here fucking cared about me. Ever! No one! The world can just go to hell! Burn in fucking hell!

Max's face was buried in her hands. Soaked with tears. She loved Chloe so much. Max hated herself for letting things get out of hand with Eliot. She should have controlled her actions and backed away from him or pushed him away. But she didn't. She let herself lose control and let Eliot manipulate her into cheating on her girlfriend. Max lied down on the bed and cried herself into a nap.

As she dozed off, Max thought about a lot of things. And how this could be the end of her relationship with Chloe. Who can be a hard person to reason with when upset. Max knew that. But she didn't want all those memories with her to disappear.

Being pirates as kids and the first time they met. Instantly clicking with each other and becoming close friends. But all that could disappear if Max didn't try to talk with Chloe.

Max's eyes slowly closed and she soon fell asleep.