Connection

*One year later*

I grabbed my bag and walked out of my house slamming the door behind me. Derek was waiting on the sidewalk, just like always.

"Hey, Val come on. We're gonna be late."

I roll my eyes at him. He always thinks that we're going to be late for things, but low and behold we never are. It only takes us about ten minutes to walk to school. This is probably my favorite part of the day. It's just Derek and I. And no one else. We don't spend as much time together as we used to, but we're still nothing short of best friends. I still have feelings for Derek and I'm not sure if he has feelings for me. We only kissed one time and I felt everything at once. I wish I could feel that again someday. Whether its with Derek or with someone else.

"So what are you doing later?" Derek asks, taking me by surprise. "We haven't hung out in a while."

"Nothing, I don't think."

"Wanna come over?"

"Yeah. I'd like that." I smile and feel my cheeks grow warm. I love hanging with him. We don't do it often enough.

When we get to school, I'm greeted by my other friend I acquired a few months back, Katy. I have always admired Katy's features. Her long black hair is always perfect, as if she controls it. Her olive skin is never bombarded with blemishes and she doesn't need makeup, although that doesn't stop her from using it. Katy is never afraid to show off her body, no matter the venue.

"Val!!" Katy screams running up to me. I see Derek cringe a little. He isn't one for Katy's girl talk twenty-four, seven.

"Jackson was asking about you a few minutes ago!" She practically sang.

"The quarterback? What does he want with me?"

"I don't know. But I think you should go talk to him," Katy grins wickedly.

I've known Jackson this previous year only. I recently started speaking to him at the library because he works their now. He isn't a bad guy, he's quite nice actually. He's liked by mostly everyone. We were sort of friends, so I wonder what he wants with me.