Mr. Nobody

I don't know how long we stood there joined at the lips, but I didn't want to stop. And by the way Derek didn't hold back, I'm sure he didn't either. His fingers rested in my hair and mine resided around his neck. I never wanted to let him go.

"Knock, knock." I heard Derek's mother through his closed door. Derek and I pulled away fast and turned to his now opening door.

"Oh hello Val," she smiled. "Would you guys like something to drink or anything?"

"No thanks mom," Derek says.

"Well okay then," she raises her eyebrow, I can tell that she suspects something by the way Derek is awkwardly staring at his bedroom floor. His mom closes the door and I look over at him.

"Well, that was awkward." I say smiling, not quite looking in his eyes. He turns toward me and his hand caresses my face, tilting it upwards. He leans down and kisses me again. We pull away, both of us smiling wide.

"You have no idea how much I've wanted to kiss you since the first day we met."

"Then why didn't you?"

"Because after the first time, I thought that I would ruin any chance of having a friendship with you, and I dunno. I was nervous."

"Oh, so was I."

Derek looks into my eyes and I look into his. I get lost in the pool of blue, I feel him grab my hand.

•••

Derek and I plop down on the couch in his living room. His mom resides on the opposite side the room in an arm chair.

"Wanna watch a movie?" his mom suggests.

"Sounds good," he smiles.

"Yeah," I nod. We look through Derek's collection of movies and decide to watch Mr. Nobody.

As the movie transitions from one scene to the next, I find myself curling up next to Derek and he puts his arm around me. I'm not even really paying attention to the movie, even though its one of my favorites. It feels right to be here, in his arms. I felt my eyelids become heavy, the room went black as I drifted asleep.

•••

"Val, it's like six o'clock, you should probably go home before your brother starts to worry."

I sit up and run my eyes. I look over at Derek and smile.

"Yeah,"

"I'll walk you home."

We both stand up and I grab my bag from the floor and head out his front door. He locks the door behind him and grabs my hand.

"Today has been amazing," I blurt out.

"Yeah, it has."

"Do you wanna hang out tomorrow too?"

He gives me a crooked grin. "Of course." I feel my face begin to redden.

Within a few minutes we reach my house, and we stop at the doorstep. We grasp each others hands and face each other. We lean in for a kiss. Butterflies began to flutter in my stomach, I hoped the feeling would never go away.

"This is the best thing that's happened in my life in a long time." I smile at him.

"And it won't be the last." He winks at me and walks off. I open the door and head straight for my room with the biggest smile on my face.