Maybe Next May

Derek and I walk at a steady pace making conversation as usual. When we're a few blocks away from school, he grabs my hand. It catches me off guard, but I look over at him and we both smile big and then burst into laughter.

"It's about time this has happened."

"I'll say." He laughs once more.

After that our conversation slightly dulled. Not much needed to be said, for we could tell each other we're genuinely happy.

When we approach the front of our school, I see Katy talking to who looks like Jackson on the steps. Katy catches my eye and her jaw drops. Leaving in what seems like mid sentence, she runs over to us.

"I knew one day it would happen." She nods, a righteous grin reveals itself. I glance over at Derek an I raise an eyebrow, he offers a smile.

"Oh." I whisper.

"It's a good thing! you guys are great for each other. Blah, blah, blah. I know you hate this girl talk of mine, Derek, so I'm stealing Val from you. Bye." She grabs my arm, causing our hands to untangle, and pulls my into the building and straight to the girls bathroom.

"Jackson was asking about you again this morning, did you tell him you weren't available?!" she whispered.

"I did," I clearly remember texting him and not getting a text back.

"Yeah well, I think he may be upset when he sees you with Derek."

"Why? It's not like they're friends or anything."

"No, but he really seems to like you."

"He can't. He must be delusional or something. I hardly ever talk to him, why is he suddenly crushing on me?"

"Come on Val, you're great. Who wouldn't love you?" Katy says playfully.

I smirk at that thought. I didn't think I was particularly my thing special. "We should get to class."

Katy nods in reply and we leave the bathroom.

***

I sit in the back row during class. The teacher is going on about a subject I'm too lazy to care about. The teacher stops talking and everyone around me gets to work on some assignment. I slip my earphones in and pretend to work on whatever paper was passed around.

The music fills my ears and I feel as if nothing can touch me.

🎶🎶

This heart is yours, so take it as you please.

But if you walk away, remember I need that heart to breathe.

🎶🎶

Music takes me to another place. No matter what's going on in my life, I can always rely on it. It's the one thing that truly never leaves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

Song>>>>

Maybe Next May By Secrets

Vote/Comment if you want.