Results

"Val, I'm so sorry.." Doctor Strauss said putting her hand on my shoulder. I let my head fall down, and fight back the tears.

She handed me some papers and some informations pamphlets as I left the room. I rushed out of the office and ran to my car. I fumbled with the keys before unlocking it. I get in, and drive away.

Eventually I can't stand it. I pull my car over into an empty parking lot in front of an abandoned plaza.

"Ahhhhhhh. It's not fair!" I scream. I got the steering wheel with my hand several times. This time I let my tears win the fight. They stream down my face and my eyes get puffy.

What am I supposed to do?! Derek's band is just getting popular and I'd ruin his chance. Ryan is only five. He can't grow up without a mother.

A lousy six months is not enough time! I'm not supposed to die at twenty-nine!

How do I tell them? help do I look at the people I love and tell them that I'm dying?

I pick up my phone and place it to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Katy, I really need you right now." I choke out. "I'm dying."

She's silent at first. "What?"

"Please, I need you."

"Where are you?"

I tell her my whereabouts and she tells me she'll be with me in ten minutes. Last year she and Jamie moved to Florida again. I was so thrilled. They've been trying to have a daughter named Rose who is four. Rose and Ryan are the best of friends. She's like a daughter to me.

I put my head I my hands and sobbed until I heard a knock on the passenger window. I reach over and click the unlock button, allowing Katy to come in. She looked like she had been crying as well.

"Val, please tell me you were joking." she deadpans.

"Katy, I only have six months..."

I feel her arms wrap around me and I hug her back.

"I just got the results. I haven't told anyone but you."

"Val, I'm so sorry. I can't believe this. I'm coming home with you. You need support."

"Alright. Thank you. I love you so much."

"I love you too, Val."

She gets in her car and follows me home. We pull into the driveway and then go in the house. Derek is playing with Ryan in the living room. He looks up at us when we walk in. He starts off with a smile and then he sees I'm crying.

"Val," he says stepping towards us. Katy grips my arm.

"Katy, can you take Ryan outside?" I sniffle.

She nods and calls for Ryan and they go into the backyard.

"Hey, what's going on? are you alright?" Derek reaches for my hand and he grips it tightly.

"Derek, I... I..." I start to sob again. "I'm dying. I only have six months to live."

His face drains of color and I can see the tears flowing from his eyes. "What? No. No No. This can't be happening."he hugs me tightly.

"I have an enlarged heart. I need a transplant. And I'm so far down the waiting list for one, that I'll die before I'm close enough. Let alone the possibility of it not being comparable..." I ramble, still sobbing.

He sniffles and leads me to the couch. We sit close and he grabs both of my hands and squeezes tightly. "If there's no way of getting you a heart, then we'll make it the best sixth months of your life."

He kisses me lightly. "I love you."

"I love you more."

•••

"Aunt Katy? Why are mommy and daddy crying?" Ryan says running over to the window.

Katy pulls Ryan away from the window and brings him to the edge of the yard. She sits him on her lap and holds onto him, forcing away the tears.

"They're just talking about grown up things is all."

"Okay." He gets up from her lap and grabs a ball. "Lets play."

Katy and Ryan toss the ball back and forth. Katy tries to put a smile on her face the best that she can, but her thoughts lead her to the inevitable thoughts of Val.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

I've really wanted to write a lot recently, and I hope that this isn't horrible.

I know you guys probably hate me, but I'm sorry. I think the next few chapters are really going to tie the story together.

Vote/Comment

I'd love feedback on whether or not Val should get a new heart or... I haven't decided yet. Oops.