Little Box

*Three Years Later*

Derek: Let's meet up at the coffee shop in ten?

Me: Okay, be there soon.

Derek and I hadn't seen each other for a day or so. We've both been studying a lot the past week, we had finals this week. We both had settled on going to our community college, and seeing each other every moment we could. We had been looking for an apartment together, but weren't renting until after we graduated. Instead we stayed with Tyler.

Derek had gotten a job at a clothing store and I got a job at a record store. Things were finally coming together. We were happy; comfortable. I was grateful to be able to be with Derek. I couldn't imagine being with anyone else.

My phone made a familiar beep and I looked to find a text from Katy.

Katy: Hey! I've missed you! Spain is really awesome though. I wish you could see it. I've been really busy, sorry for not calling. I love you. :D

Me: It's okay. Derek and I are slammed with finals. I really miss you. And I happy to hear you love it there. I love you too, Katy.

Katy had met this really nice guy who was a foreign exchange student from Spain soon after we graduated. He was a very nice guy, and they started dating. Soon after that it was time for him to go back to Spain. Katy, on a whim, decided to go back with him. I was truly happy for her. She seemed to be happy. They've been together ever since.

•••

I made my way out of the library where I was studying, shoving everything into my bag. I shuffled out the door and made my way down the street to my car. I got in and drove down the street towards our favorite place. it was just a small coffee shop, but it was more than that to us. That coffee shop was the place where we used to study in high school, a place where we sat and talked for hours on end.

I get there and sit at the table in the far corner, our table. We always sat the same spot. Derek wasn't here yet, so I pulled out a book and began to read. A few moments later I saw Derek come in the door. He glanced at me, and I could tell something was up. He seemed very nervous.

"Are you okay? You seem a little wrecked." I smiled at him.

He took a deep breath. "I love you so much," he starts. "And I never want to lose you."

Where was this coming from? I knew that he didn't want to lose me and I didn't want to lose him either. He seemed incredibly nervous. I've never seen him like this before. It worried me.

"I know Derek, I never wanna lose you either. Where'd this come from all of a-"

"Will you marry me?" he blurts pulling out a little box.

My jaw dropped. I couldn't believe he had asked me to marry him. Of course I would. He was the love of my life. Nothing could make me happier. It felt like my heart stopped for a moment and then beat at a more than normal rate. It feel like my heart was going to pop out of my chest.

"Yes." I smiled. We both jumped up and huge each other. I brought my lips onto his. I couldn't believe it.

•••

"Tyler, are you home?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Derek and I are coming home. I wanted to show you something."

"Haha, okay."

I hung up the phone and clutched Derek's hand. I can't believe we're engaged. I was covered in excitement.

"I love you so much."

"I love you too Val."

We pulled into the driveway and I stared down at the gorgeous ring that now resided on my left hand finger. It was different to see it there, but a good different. Somewhere inside of me I knew that he would ask eventually, but it struck me out of nowhere.

I opened the door and saw Tyler sitting on the couch. I jumped up and hugged me.

We pulled away and a smile emerged on my face. I smiled so hard my face hurt. I lifted up my left hand so that he could see the ring. He smiled big and embraced us both I a huge hug.

"I knew it would happen eventually." he smiled. "You guys are great together."

I could tell Tyler was genuine. He was always fond of Derek. They were good friends. I was glad that they were. They were the most important people in my life. And they always would be.

Derek's mother had basically screamed with excitement of the news. She was like a mother to me. She was always so polite and treated me like I was her own kid. I loved her so much.

Everything was perfect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

Yeah, so that just happened. Wow. I like what I have planned for this story.

I appreciate the reads this is getting.

Vote/Comment.