Chapter 16

Evangeline's P.O.V

"Just open the damn door!" The lazy ass just glared at me.

"Don't you think I could, I would?" I scoffed and waited not so patiently for Kristine to open the front door to our apartment. I looked around and saw that it was already dark. I wasn't surprised since it was 9:50. I hugged myself harder as the cold wind blew hard against my face for what seemed to be the 50th time. I shivered and glared at Kristine.

"How is putting they key in and unlocking the door not simple?!" I threw my hands in the air for emphasis. She growled and thrusted the key into my hand.

"If you think it's that easy, why don't you do it?" She exclaimed and stepped back. I stuck out my tongue at her and inspected the key. My eyes widened a bit then I glared at Kristine, who just rose her eyebrows at me.

"This is the key to the front doors at the shop, Kristine." I said slowly. Her eyes widened as she face-palmed.

"Fuck..." She muttered and messaged her temples. I rolled my eyes and sat down at the steps and hugged my legs to my chest, shivering as the cold wind blew yet again. Kristine then joined me in a huddle and sighed. A few minutes of silence consumed both of us with the exception of our teeth chattering. Suddenly my phone vibrated in my back pocket, making it message my bum. My eyes widened and I quickly fished it out and saw that it was Marcel calling.

"Who is it?" I shushed Kristine by putting my finger to her lips and pressed answer. She pushed my hand away and huffed.

"Hi Marcel!" I said with a slight waver in my voice. Kristine's eyes widened as she scooted closer to me.

"Hi Evangeline! What are you doing?" I just love the sound of his voice, it brings a smile to my face all the time. Another gust of wind blew making me shiver again, also snapping me out of a my daze.

"Sitting on the steps of my apartment because we're locked out." I said it like it was casual. I heard him intake a breath.

"Why?" I looked at Kristine pointedly.

"Kristine accidentally switched out our apartment key for the key to the shop." She just glared at me and smacked my shoulder.

"Do you have a car?" She yelled right into my ear. It was my turn to smack her because the phone was on the other side of my head.

"Where do you live, i'll pick you up." I faintly heard Marcel fumbling with keys and shoes.

"We live on Sunny Side Road, the 6th building." I spoke clearly, not wanting him to mishear me.

"Where are you going?" I heard a male voice say. I arched an eyebrow and put the phone tighter against my ear.

"Out." I heard Marcel say and the door closing.

"I'll be there in 5 minutes." I heard Marcel say, then he hung up. I sighed and looked at Kristine with a faint smile. She was glancing around nervously, avoiding my gaze. I sighed again and put an arm around her.

"It's not your fault." I said at the same time she said, "I'm sorry." I gave her an incredulous look.

"What are you sorry for?" She shrugged and looked down.

"I don't know... everything." I rolled my eyes and hugged her tightly.

"Without the mistakes we've made," She smiled a little and looked at me, "We wouldn't be here. Remember the time in fourth grade, Dylan asked me out." She laughed out loud at this.

"How can I forget? He asked for it. It was his fault that I so happened to have a bucket of worms... that you gave me." I smirked and nodded.

"You were pissed that I would say yes, you dumped those yucky things onto his head. We both got detention and that made us closer than ever." We both looked off into the distance, smiling. "You lost us 100 points because those worms were supposed to be for a project." I added and nudged her. She just nudged me back and gave me a bear hug.