Feelings Never Change

■■

Chapter 17

■■

I was back in Locksley, moving things into a spare room for when the baby comes. I'm not that far along, but it was noticeable cause I've been gaining some weight. Guy was excited to have the baby, but I've been thinking about it. There's a lot going on in the world and I'm not sure if it's the best idea to bring a child in it just yet. Of course, I can't do anything about it now and I don't want to do anything. If Guy is so happy to be having a full family... Well... I am too. 

There was loud clatter at the bedroom door, quickly looking to what it was, I was shocked to have found Allan. He was sweaty and out of breath. 

"What is the matter, Allan?" I questioned, setting down a small blanket. 

"It's Guy." Allan huffed. "He caught Marian as the Nightwatchman and is going to kill her."

I clicked my tongue and turned my focus back to the room. "Why do I care about that? I think it's good that Guy finally sees what a rat she is." 

Allan gave me stern look still trying to catch his breath. "Evelyn." 

I throw down the blanket once more and stomped to Allan. "Do you really think I care about her? If Guy is willing to hang Marian because he discovered that she was the Nightwatchman, then I say hang her. I don't like Marian. She bounces between two guys: Robin and Guy, who is married and will be having a child. She needs to back off and learn her place which is in the gallows!" 

Allan chuckled sarcastically. "You know, bouncing between two men was something you did." 

"You can burn!" I gritted my teeth, then I pushed Allan out of the way and left for Nottingham. 

I arrived just a few seconds after the Sheriff. Guy held out his long arms and helped me off the horse. 

"Ahh, Evelyn," the Sheriff greeted. "Just in time for a little entertainment. We're going to execute the Nightwatchman." He seemed very excited but had no idea it was Marian.

I ran my hand down Guy's arm. "Oh, really? Sounds like fun." 

Marian was brought to the gallows by two guards, but she did not get hanged. Instead, someone dressed as the Nightwatchman was above us, shooting arrows. Whoever it was ran, so Guy and the Sheriff sent guards after them. Guy joined the guards and when they came back empty-handed... The Sheriff was horribly angry. 

The Sheriff smacked Guy in the face, grabbed his hair and held a knife to his throat. "You have failed me again!"

Marian decided that she was going to try and stop the Sheriff, but I held out my hand so she wouldn't step closer. I was going to be the one that saves my husband, not some bar wench. 

"Sheriff, back away from Guy," I shouted at the back of his head.

The Sheriff mumbled a few things to Guy before giving his a small cut on the side of his neck. Then the Sheriff pushed Guy before glaring at me and storming away. Guy grabbed his neck and looked at me funny just before he left me in the dirt. 

"Guy!" I called, but he left too quickly. 

When I turned around, Marian was there ready to go off on me. 

"What is wrong with you!?" She shouted at me. 

I scoffed. "Wrong with me? What is wrong with you? Don't act like this is my fault. You were the one that started it all."

"I started nothing, Eve," Marian replied like she was innocent. 

"You did nothing... Is that what you call it? You went to my house in your finest silks and tried to persuade my husband to let you go by using your body!" I shouted at her, getting closer to her face. "You think that Guy wants you and that he'll do anything for you... Are blind? He has a family... He has a child on the way and you're over in the castle trying to get Guy all to yourself when you have my cousin, Robin Hood, who loves you more than life itself. You need to learn your place in this world and it's sure not next Guy! So if you EVER try something to corrupt my loves minds... I will kill you myself and I do believe that the Sheriff will thank me for it. Now if you'll excuse me... I need to check on my husband from the mess you caused." I shoved Marian a tad bit and ran after Guy. 

Guy was sitting in an old bedroom that he would stay in before I he had me come home to. 

"My love?" I softly said, standing at the door. "Are you alright?" 

Guy looked at me with sad eyes. "I'm fine, Evelyn." He turned showing that he was happy, but I could tell he was lying to me. "Thank you for stepping in and saving me."

"I had to do something. I couldn't just stand there like Marian." I wasn't sure what to say, but I knew I had to say something. "I know that Marian was the Nightwatchman and the man under the mask back there was not Marian. Why? Why spare her life when you know she betrayed you... betrayed us?" Moving close and sitting next to him on the bed. 

Guy let out a deep sigh. "As much as I want to and as much as you want me to... I can't kill her."

"It's because she flutters her big eyes and flaunts her breast at you. She has you wrapped around her finger and you know it." I looked at the door as my eyes filled with salty tears. 

"No... Yes." Guy gently grabbed my hand and held it to his chest. "Evelyn, I love you and you know that. I made a promise to keep you and our unborn child safe. Marian is just a distraction. I did have feelings for her, but I'm over that." 

I pulled my hand away from him. "You're clearly not. I see the way you look at her. You love her, Guy. So why did you have to drag me into this mess? Why couldn't you leave me be?" 

"I don't know, Evelyn." Guy sobbed. "I never meant to hurt you. I love you more than ever that's why I married you." 

"I was nice enough to give you a second chance. I thought you were happy with me, but I see now that I was wrong." I was above to get up and leave, but Guy grabbed my hand. 

"Please, Eve. Don't leave me. I truly do love you and I want to be with you." 

"But you can't do that as long as Marian lives! She corrupts your mind and tries to change you. If she really loved you... She wouldn't want to change a single thing." I gave him a small smile and rubbed the side of his cheek. 

"I know and that's why I married you, Eve, you never tried to change me into someone I'm not. And I love you for that." Guy leaned in for a kiss, but I stopped him by holding my finger to his lips. 

"No... I can't do that. You need to get everything together before anything happens. I will not be raising this baby while you're off prancing with Marian!" I removed my finger and stood up. "If you truly do love me... Marian wouldn't be an issue..." I quickly left Guy in the room full of sorrow. 

I headed back to the Manor in Locksley and locked myself in the room where the window bench and books were.