CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

^PARENTS: Its just a phase. You'll get over Dan and Phil.
ME: I've loved these idiots for 3 years.
PARENTS: You'll still get over it!
ME (as an adult):^
Phil's POV

    It had been almost a week since Dan had stopped talking to me. I didn't know why, either. There was no idea my mind could conjure as to why he would go to this extent to avoid me for so long. There were reasons, but nothing fit.

    Reason 1: He was mad at me. I ruled this out because he had no reason to be. He didn't feel mad, either, but sad, scared, worried, and lonely instead. He felt horrible as he passed me in the halls, but determined.

    Reason 2: He didn't like me anymore. I ruled this out because he was head over heals for me. Whenever he was with me he felt safe, loved, and happy. He felt okay. So why would he throw all of that away? Besides, even if he stopped liking me that quickly, why would he suddenly just stop communication with no explanation?

    Reason 3: He thought I didn't love him. This one doesn't work because, as mentioned before, he felt loved. He couldn't have been cheating on me and feeling loved from someone else, either, because he felt no guilt. "But Phil, maybe he just didn't love you to the point that he didn't feel guilty." Thank you, other half of this conversation. That doesn't work because Dan felt guilty if he killed a fly.

    Reason 4: It was his father. I thought it had to be this one. Maybe his dad banned him from speaking to me. I couldn't figure out why he wouldn't sneak any contact though. It's not like his dad has eyes everywhere. He doesn't have some freakin' gang to follow Dan everywhere he goes.

    That's all I had. I couldn't think of any other reason. The most logical seemed to be his dad. But the question still remained: why hadn't he tried to contact me?

    Over the few weeks we got to spend together, I had gotten used to being able to talk to someone about my feeling-reading-thing. Although it wasn't nearly as amazing, I started writing down my thoughts on notebook paper. I didn't want someone seeing them in my notebook so after I was done, I'd rip the page out and throw it away. If anyone ever picked up those papers I'd be screwed. Thankfully, nobody had, from what I knew at least. Although I think I'd recognize the government pulling up in my driveway...

I texted Dan for the first few days with things like "What's wrong", "I'm here for you", "You're amazing, don't forget that," etc. He never responded, of course. I kind of knew he wouldn't, but I hoped.

I had eventually decided to just give him space. Whether he was mad, scared, whatever, I wasn't helping. Maybe he just needed time to think things over. Whatever he was feeling, it wouldn't go away instantly. He needed time to calm down.

    In the mean time, I'd been hanging out with Peej as much as I had been before I'd met Dan. Tonight, we were playing video games as usual.

    "Oh, I'm so going to kick your ass, Lester!" He shouted at me as he rounded to corner on Mario Cart, remaining way ahead of me. I tried to ignore the use of "Lester", the name Dan had used for me if it wasn't "bean" instead.

    "Ha! I can still win! I can do it—" I said, but was cut off by the cheering of Pj. He'd just crossed the finish line.

    "HA! HAHAHA HA!" He cheered, standing up and pointing at me with every "ha". I laughed at his reaction.

    "Oh, okay. You won, fair and square." I said, standing up as I spoke and putting my hands up in defeat. "Are you sure you're in high school? You seem to be a toddler..." I teased.

    He punched me in the arm as a response. "Just as a toddler would do, Peej. You're not helping yourself!" We both continued laughing. "So, whaddah ya wanna do now?" I asked, sitting on the bed.