Chapter 8

Jack

Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid.

How could I be so incredibly stupid? Did I really not make it obvious that I love her? How does she not see that? And why on earth would I use her? She's the greatest thing that's ever happened to me.

I know it's only been a few days but love at first sight is real. Very real. And I've spent so much time with her and I can't imagine a future without my ice queen by my side.

My thoughts are so tangled at the moment that I'm finding it hard to find my cabin. Girls walk by and look to me but keep walking which is a first. I don't blame them, though. I can imagine the intimidation they sense behind my irritated mask of emotions. My eye brows are knit sternly over my intense eyes in such a way that it's causing a throbbing in my head, and my fists are clenched around my staff so firmly that my knuckles turn whiter than they already are. What a jerk. Who would tell her that?

Training for the quest starts today. We have to train to go on a quest together and she doesn't trust me. This could only end horribly.

Unless...

Unless I set out on this quest at night. I'll go alone tonight. That way she's safe. I'll have to get away super sneakily because the camp is heavily guarded, a company taking turns each night. It's the Reguims tonight I think, so it'll be an easy escape. Too prissy to do anything.

I sigh, the weight of it all tiring me out. When I sit on my bunk bed, I glance around at the empty cabin. I've been excused from the rest of my classes and have training in a few hours, might as well try and rest?

***

I arrive to training, my plan tugging at the back of my mind constantly. She shows up seconds after and doesn't risk so much as a passing glance. It hurts.

Scorpio strides past the stone archway to us and smiles.

"Elsa, my favorite student." He smiles. "Oh, and Jack." he grins and I chuckle.

"Thanks," I mutter with a sarcastic smile.

"Okay, well then." He begins, Finnick walking in halfway through his safety speech. "Oh, and Finn here will teach you necessary survival skills while I help the other." he adds. Finnick went to Elsa first of course, showing her berries and how to start a fire, which I found rather ironic. What is-would she need a fire for? We're ice.

Idiot.

"Frost." Scorpio gets my attention with a pound to the stomach. I gasp a curse word and he laughs. "Focus." We practice the same old drills over and over. A hit to the stomach, uppercut the jaw, then an ice sickle to the throat. Over and over and over. I could do it in my sleep practically by the time we switch.

"Do you know how to hunt?" Finnick asked me and I nodded. "Can you tell poison from nonpoisonous fruits?" yes. "How to make a fire?" I give him an Are-You-Serious-Right-Now look and he pauses for a second before restating.

"A fire?" I ask.

"Yeah,"

"Why on earth would I need a fire?" I laugh and he joins in seconds later.

"Oh,"

"Well I already know everything so can I go?" I sigh.

Elsa

Jack left early for some reason.. but it's not like I care. He's a jerk. Using me?

Part of me doesn't want to believe it. I can't imagine him secretly plotting against me, but some people are great actors I guess.

That's the real flaw with this world. Humanity is a disease- side effects including selfishness, deceiving actions, and greed.

***

I can't sleep. I just keep waking up every time I finally doze off, a nightmare shakes me and I jerk awake. I groan and get up, walking around the camp grounds without any disturbance. But I hear footsteps. I turn and see Jack. My heart tugs at him before I remember what Hans told me.

"What are you doing?" I ask him and he jumps.

"Oh, hey. I'm doing good, thanks." He sarcastically greeted me. "And I'm setting off on my daring quest to save the world."

"You mean the one that you and I are supposed to go on like tomorrow?" I question him.

"Yeah," Jack nods.

"Without me?"

"Mmhmm,"

"Why?"

"Because you've suddenly decided to hate me for some unknown reason. So I decided this would make it easier. Plus I didn't want you to come in the first place-"

"Excuse me?" I hiss.

"Let me finish," he holds up his hand and hangs his head down. "I didn't want you to come because I don't think I can protect you. I'm not strong enough too," My heart pounds in my ears. What? Why would he protect me if he doesn't actually love me?

"What do you mean? Jack, I know you're using me." I say and he looks at me like I'm a complete idiot.

"You still think that? Still?" He frowns and brings his hands up to his face. "You trust that idiot over me?"

"And Hans told me."

"He's a Calor, what do you expect. El, I'm in love with you and if you can't see that then I can't do much, can I?" I almost start believing him.. When I don't answer he continues off towards the trees. "Yeah, well good talk. See you later, probably."

"I'm coming." I blurt out.

"No, you're no-"

"The prophecy stated 2. You can't do it without me." I boldly state, walking past him. I hear him mutter under his breath something I don't think he meant for me to hear.

"It's not the only thing I can't do without you."

What does that mean?

(Thanks for reading! I'm out of town again so my updates may be slow! Plus I'm already working on the climax of this fanfic as well as starting another Jelsa one! thanks for being amazing :))

~I)