fifty-nine // numb

I stood up immediately. "My mom? What? Dead? What do you mean she's dead?"

Hanna stood up as well. "She was found dead in her cell this morning. It was a suicide."

"A what?" My voice came out much louder than I had meant it to be. "No, it wasn't. No, she isn't. You're lying! You're lying!"

"Hunter, sweetheart, please." Liam looked so distraught. "Please, calm down."

"Calm down? How are you gonna tell me to calm down?" I demanded. The thing is, I was screaming, trying to feel sadness, some sort of pain, and I felt nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

"Your grandmother called me." Hanna went on. "She said she wants to see you."

"My grandmother?" I repeated. "My grandmother's dead. Both of them are."

"Not your maternal," she said, "she went into hiding."

"Into hiding?" I spat. "Hiding from what?"

"That isn't my story to tell." Hanna wiped her tears. "I've booked plane tickets for Rochester for tomorrow morning."

"I'm not going." I said.

Liam frowned. "Hunter..."

"I'm not going." I said it even slower to get my point across. My voice had so much venom and hatred in it that I didn't even recognize it as my own. "I'm not going."

Hanna and Liam looked at each other and sighed. I left their room and went to my own.

Flynn was sitting on the floor by my bed.

"What the fuck are you doing in here?" I was so angry yet numb that I couldn't even see straight.

He face immediately changed from 'I mean to business' to 'that kind of hurt'. He knew that in my right mind, I would never speak to him like that.

"Your mother died, Hunter." Flynn stood up slowly. "And your grandmother wants to see you, and you're refusing to go?"

"Eavesdropping, is that what we're doing now?" I snapped.

"Hunter, really? This is your mother we're talking about." He cared more about this than I did.

"So?" My voice went back up to a yell. "Why the fuck does that matter? She didn't fucking do her damn job when she was alive. All she did was watch her daughter get handed around like a piece of meat. Do you know the type of shit she put me through when my dad would leave and we didn't have money for bills?"

Flynn's eyes widened.

"Man after man after man," the horrid memories flashed through my mind and I felt like throwing up. Those were things that I had buried so deep in the back of my mind that I thought I'd never think of them again. I hadn't told anyone about this, including Hanna and Liam.

"I was nothing, nobody!" I continued. "They would use me for the entire damn night. My mother would sometimes leave me there for days so the money would add up. For days, Flynn."

He didn't speak. I went on. "That woman that was the useless excuse for my mother did not care for me. She did not love me. She did not want me. And for that, she will not get my time of day, nor my tears, and especially not my goddamn sympathy. Let her rot like she was always meant to do."

"Don't say that, Hunter." He shook his head. He looked so horrified. His face was all red and his eyes grew even wider. Everything screamed fear.