G - Neopets - Misfit of Darkness (IP)

Fandom: Neopets
Genre: Adventure, Angst, Fairy, Fantasy, Friendship, Mystery, Slice of Life, Suspense
Ships: Chase/Ameril
Headcanons: Why are there no male faeries in Neopets? I found the lack of male faeries sexist, but of course this goes for Winx Club as well.

This is a re-write of an earlier series of which I'd gotten into the third part before I started the re-write. This involves the first part, where Nixi a hornless Ixi questions why there are no male faeries, but also where faeries come from. For those who don't know, male faeries is a taboo subject on Neopets, where you can't submit stories involving male faeries because apparently faeries come from nowhere despite the fact there is plenty of material regarding mothers of faeries who are themselves faeries.

So, I created Chase, a young man the Library Faerie takes care of.  Nixi meets him, and they go on an adventure. They first arrive at the Faerie academy, where Neopets and Humans aren't allowed to go on their own, dragging a Light Faerie named Ameril into their adventure. They find themselves navigating the politics of being a hornless Nixi, a human who's in the world of Neopets illegally, and a Light Faerie who's getting close to a human male as they try and find a male faerie because the Faerie Queen sends them on a seemingly pointless quest.

Recently one of my readers on the other site brought up the recent Neopets plot, but also the newest faerie Kaia. (Hey, I'm one of the people negatively effected by the fact Neopets keeps glitching out, so I stopped playing.) I couldn't help but notice some parallels between Chase and Kaia, but we also discussed how Kaia is coming across as a Mary Sue. I'm hoping Chase doesn't come across that way.

- Both are so far the only of their kind. (Not planning on keeping it this way.
- Both had an incident involving fire and the library.
- There is some kind of connection to the Darkest Faerie, though with Kaia it may just be in regards to the plot. (I've only hinted at this so far.)
- Both struggle with classes and getting along with their classmates. (Never got to that point in the previous series.)