Chapter 14

Chapter 14

*************

Blake drove me home on his bike.

“See yah,” he said when we stopped in front of my house.

“Yeah,” I replied and pulled off the helmet he had leant to me, “see yah.” I walked up to the door and stepped inside. Spencer was waiting for me, sipping tea on the couch. “Hey, Spence,” I greeted.

“Hey Lindsay! Are you okay?” he asked. I nodded and sat next to him on the couch.

“I’m just… really confused right now, you know?”

“Yeah. Hey, listen, why don’t we go get dinner? You must be hungry,”

“I’m not that—“ GRRRR, “dinner couldn’t hurt.” Spencer laughed and poked my belly.

“No kidding, we’d better feed that thing,”

“Hey! My stomach is NOT a thing!” I growled.

“Now, that’s not the way to get me to pay for dinner.” I shut up.

We ended up going to a fancy French restaurant called Siffler ma Culotte de Cuir. He won’t tell me what it means. We entered the fantastic restaurant to be greeted by a young man with a curly mustache. He seated us at a small table in the back and asked us what we wanted to drink. “I’ll have water,” I said.

“Same,” Spencer said looking at my face. He seemed to be deciding what to say next. The waiter left. “Lindsay, can I ask you for a favor?”

“What?” I said looking into my lap.

“My parents are coming to town and—“

“Oh! Do I finally get to meet them?” he chuckled.

“Yeah, something like that. Anyways, my parents think I’m gay, so…”

“Wait, are you asking what I think you’re asking?”

“Yeah, Lindsay, will you temporarily go out with me? Just while my parents are here. We can keep it simple, but you need to be a great actor.”

“Actress,”

“Does that mean you’ll do it?”

“I guess, but Spence, we’re still just friends right? We’re only a couple in front of your parents, right?”

“Yeah, sure, thanks Lindsay!”

“Yeah, I’m the greatest, blah, blah,”

“You are Lindsay,” he said, laughing. The lady at the next table shushed us and we just started laughing harder. The waiter came back and “politely” asked us to leave. We sat on the curb and kept laughing.

“Did you see his face?”

“No, that lady’s torso kept blocking him!” I straightened my face.

“You were looking at her torso?”

“Of course not,” he said putting a hand on my shoulder, “I was looking at yours.”

“Oh my! Spencer!” I punched his shoulder and we both started to crack up again.

“So… I’m still hungry,” Spencer said, “where do you want to eat?”

“Wherever, I could eat a cow!” he shrugged and hopped in his bug.

“Where are we going?”

“Wherever,”

“Ha ha,”

We pulled into a parking lot with a Red Lobster, Swirls Yogurt, and a McDonalds. I started walking towards The Red Lobster but he grabbed my arm and shook his head. “Jeez Lindsay, rich people junk out too.”

___________________

“I’ll have… Hey Lindsay? Have you ever eaten here before?” I smiled.

“Yah,” I said.

“Okay, you order first then,”

“Okay, I’ll have a cheeseburger with just ketchup, and an Oreo McFlurry,” I said.

“Wow, I’ll have a Caesar Salad and—“

“Whoa, what happened to ‘rich people junk out too’?”

“Fine, scratch that… I’ll have a Big Mac, some large fries, and a large coke,” he said sticking his tongue out at me.

“Now you just have to eat it all.”

“Oh, you got me,” he said, “I’m quaking in my totally awesome electric blue hi tops,” he said. I looked down.

“Those are some pretty awesome shoes,” I admitted.

We sat at a table and Spencer almost died when he saw the burger and fries. “I have to eat all of this?”

“Yeah,” I nodded. Spencer picked up a handful of French fries and threw them under the table.

“Spence? I think you just ruined your totally awesome electric blue hi tops.” He grinned sheepishly and when he thought I wasn’t looking he took of one of the burgers from his sandwich and stuffed it in mine.

“Wow, I think that my cheeseburger grew!”

“It’s magic!”

“Spencer, eat your food,” I said taking out the burger and throwing at him.

“Hey!” he said hefting the whole sandwich.

“Wait! Truce! I don’t want to get kicked out of McDonalds, that’s an all time low,” he nodded solemnly.

“How do people do this all the time?”

“Eat?”

“Yeah, I guess,” he said pawing at his half eaten burger.

“Here,” I said passing my McFlurry to him and grabbing the burger. He scooped some up and stuffed it in his mouth.

“Now, this,” he said gesturing to the ice cream, “this, I can eat,” I laughed.

“How do you eat this?” he asked.

“It’s cheap,” I shrugged.

“Wow, you need to like, permanently move in with me,”

“Ha! I wish,” I said and he smiled.

“Me too,” he murmured.

“What?”

“Nothing, nothing at all,” he said smiling warmly at me.

***********

Yah, McDonalds :)