( 009 ) nine!

"do you love me?" she asked, looking at the boy in front of her. her heart ached, hoping he would say the right thing. the boy did not respond. there was a silence between the them, mildly uncomfortable. the two knew each other well enough for it to be comfortable, but the lingering question was causing tension to rise. the boy looked everywhere, except at her. the girl hesitated, before gently grabbing his fingers, caressing his knuckles with her thumb. the movement felt strange, though, as if it where somewhat forced.

the room was darkening, as the sun went down. the lights in the room were off, as they had been hours before when the two were hanging out in the boy's room. the messy-haired boy wished that he could've kept his mouth shut, but he'd spilled his secret: he found that he was no longer in love. thus came the silence that overtook the couple, the silence they sat in until she asked the question that wasn't so simple.

"finn." he looked up. it was the first time since his secret slipped out that she had said his name. she did not sound angry. her voice was emotionless. he looked up and his heart nearly broke. she was biting her lip. finn knew she only did that to try to keep herself from crying. "do you love me? i think i know the answer, but i need to hear you say it."

"no," finn said quietly, "i don't. i'm so sorry, y/n."

"it's ok," she whispered back. neither knew why they were being so quiet. it seemed as though if they spoke any louder, they would break into a million pieces. a faint, sad smile played at her lips. "i've known for a while, you've been distant. i had just hoped you weren't cheating on me." she let out a breathy laugh.

"i would never do that to you," finn said, bringing the hand she was holding close to his face so he could kiss her finger. she gently pulled her hand away after letting his lips linger a second longer.

"i should go," she said. "i...i still love you, finn." she rose from her perch on his bed and headed to the door.

"y/n, i will always love you, i just-" he was cut off by the girl's soft voice.

"don't." that was all she said. then she uttered two words that boy would never forget. he would never forget who said them, how the words were said, and why they were said. "goodbye, finn." and finn had a sinking feeling that the best thing to ever happen to him just walked out of his life, perhaps forever.

oof i wrote this in foods and nutritions today. THANK Y'ALL FOR 1K!!!!! I LOVE YOU ALL SM AND DW, A HAPPIER CHAPTER WILL BE POSTED SOON!