( 018 ) eighteen! { r. tozier }

y/n and richie met at age six, in first grade. y/n had just moved to derry, and it was already in the middle of the school year, so she didn't know anyone. the teacher did everything she could to make y/n feel welcome, but she was still sad to leave her old home and her old friends. she didn't talk to any of the other kids, and none of them made any attempts to talk to her. until richie tozier. he saw her sitting alone on top of the monkey bars one day at recess, and decided to join her. he struggled to climb to the top, and once up next to y/n (who had been watching him silently), his glasses promptly fell off his face onto the woodchips below. "fuck," he mumbled, trying out one of his dad's favourite words. y/n giggled, and expertly climbed down to retrieve them. "thanks," he said, when she returned and handed them back to their owner.

y/n didn't respond, and began to awkwardly look around. she noticed a bunch of other kids chasing one another on the far side of the playground and smiled. leaning over, she punched richie somewhat gently in the arm and shouted, "TAG!"

before he could react, she bravely jumped down, and fell on her hands and knees. wiping the woodchips off of her palms, she looked back up to see richie carefully climbing back down. once his feet were on solid ground again, y/n dashed off, richie right behind her.

her joyous shouts of laughter could be heard everywhere, and the teacher smiled at the girl, who had finally made a friend.

as the two grew older, their games of tag faded, but their friendship didn't. they grew closer and closer each day. in fifth grade, y/n had heard from katy who had heard from julie who had heard from samuel that richie kissed mackenzie on the cheek! back then, y/n thought she had crushes on lots of guys in her class, and all of her friends claimed they liked her back. but when she heard about richie, she was filled with anger and that year was the first time y/n had ever gotten suspended for fighting.

in the eighth grade, at the end of the year every year, derry middle school would hold a formal for all the eighth graders. it was the middle school version of prom and all the girls went all our and bought fancy dresses and high heels. everyone brought dates, so they wouldn't be alone whenever a slow song was played at the end of the night. jackson had asked y/n to go to formal and she happily responded with 'yes'. she chattered about the dance every day leading up to it, and every time she mentioned jackson, he would clench his fist and try not to punch someone.

on the night of the formal, y/n's mom helped her get ready by assisting with hair and make-up. y/m/n dropped the girl off at school and y/n patiently waited for richie to show up. he did, nearly ten minutes later, and holding his hand was none other than mackenzie, the girl everyone said had kissed his cheek in the fifth grade. y/n felt like sobbing, but she didn't know why, it's not like she liked him, they were just best friends. she greeted them, pretending that seeing mackenzie with him wasn't killing her on the inside, and waited a couple more minutes for jackson to show up.

richie wondered why y/n didn't walk into the auditorium with him and mackenzie (who was really quite annoying). he told mackenzie that he was going to the bathroom, and he slipped out to go looking for y/n. he found lizzie, one of her girl friends, walking into the bathroom with a bottled water in her hands.

"richie!" she said, looking somewhat angry. "go in there and talk to her, while i go find jackson."

"but that's the girl's-" he began.

"i don't care!" she snapped. "we have bigger things than gender specific restrooms right now!" she thrust the water into his hand and hurried away, her heels clicking on the floor. richie took a deep breath and walked inside. he heard crying from behind a closed stall.

"y/n? are you alright?"

"richie?" her voice sounded choked up. "what are you doing in here?"

"checking on my favourite girl." he knocked on the door. "open up, please?" y/n reluctantly unlocked the stall door and stepped out. she was wiping off her mascara that had trailed down her cheeks. "what happened, n/n?"

"jackson showed up with another date," she muttered.

"i'm gonna kill him."

"haha, do it," she joked. her and richie stood in silence for a few minutes, then richie cleared his throat.

"come on, don't let a stupid boy ruin your night. let's have a good time, ok?"

y/n smiled tearily. "what about mackenzie?"

"to hell with her, you're more important." y/n's cheeks felt hot as her and richie rejoined their fellow classmates.

at the end of the night, like every year, the last song played was a slow song, and y/n remembered how she was dateless. richie offered her his hand wordlessly and led her out to the center of the dance floor.

he put his hands on her waist, and she wrapped her around his neck and rested her head on his chest. they swayed along with the music, and didn't move when it ended. only when a couple of teachers kick everybody out did they move from their positions.

as y/n was leaving, she thanked her best friend for an amazing night and gave him a hug, but this one felt different...

in the tenth grade, y/n and richie didn't see each other as much, except for the english class they shared. over the summer, y/n had matured, her body gaining more curves and her hair grew longer. richie had hit a major growth spurt and his cheekbones and jawline could cut diamonds. he still wore his huge glasses, though.

in the middle of the first semester, they were paired up for a partner project and richie would come over to her house everyday to work on it, seeing as his home wasn't one of the better ones.

even after they finished their project, he would come over, and occasionally sneak her out in the middle of the night to watch the stars. sometimes, they'd climb up to y/n's roof. others, richie would steal his dad's truck for the night while he was saving up to get one of his own.

at one point, they were laying in the back of richie's dad's truck and y/n caught richie looking over at her.

"don't say anything," he whispered. "i just want to try something." he leaned over and pressed his lips softly to hers. she kissed back, and just like that, richie and y/n became the school's power couple. they did everything that couples did back then: sneak out, make out sessions in the back of richie's newly bought truck, spoiling each other, and going on dates.

but that was then. that was when they were kids, and richie tozier is not a kid, not anymore.

he can't be around the y/l/n's anymore, it got to be too painful. he moved out of derry, leaving his only love behind. what's love, he thinks to himself everyday (sometimes more than once if it's a bad day), if it doesn't last?

y/n was gone, and richie had left. he had left because he could not bear to walk past her everyday, to see her, but her no see him. no, he could not look at her grave again. the pain gets to be too much...

---

ahahaha i hate myself now.

I JUST HAD AN IDEA AND THEN IT TURNED OUT LIKE THIS AND I JUST-

hizzUk ily you guyssss

p.s. this was trash lmaoo