Chapter 38- assuming the worst

I'm so sorry I've taken so long to update I've been busy and I'm really sorry.

All that filled the air was my deep breathing. Everything around me was loud and happening fast but all of it was background noise and a blur.

I stood in the middle of the hallway as they rushed Rachel into the emergency room. They took her to a bed and wrapped the curtain around them concealing her from me.

I stood just outside the curtain and listened as the doctor and nurses frantically went over her vitals.

Time moved so slowly as I waited for the doctors to come out.

Much later they did. I stood there frozen as he walked to me.

He wiped his forehead. "She's gonna be fine." He said with a smile. "We gave her some stitches and her left side is bruised badly but she will be fine"

"And our son?" I asked hesitantly.

"I believe he will be fine." He said.

"Are you sure? I don't want to lose him." I said just thinking of that made it hard to breathe.

"Follow me." He said turning around and using two fingers he gestured for me to follow. Of course I did. He lead me to Rachel's bed where she laid unconscious.

I wanted to cry looking at her bruised and scared face. The doctor got to work lifting her shirt and putting some gel on it. He pulled out the ultra sound thing and rubbed it around on her stomach. I watched the movement on the screen.

It wasn't before long until the small potato looking thing showed up on the screens. I smiled proudly, that is my son.

The doctor gave me a glance as I stared at the screen amazed. "Listen to this." He said and I stayed silent waiting to hear something.

"It wasn't before long till I heard a quiet fast paced heart beat. I stared at him in shock. "Is that?" I asked and he simply nodded his head and smiled.

I pulled out my phone and recorded the sound of his heartbeat. I would play this for Rachel when she woke up. The doctor smiled put me, "That's the sound of a fighter. By some miracle your son is alive. Based on the impact he shouldn't be, but he is. You got to fighters." He said and pulled the thing away and wiped off the gel.

"Thank you so much." I said to the doctor.

"Oh please don't thank me I'm just doing my job." He said putting his hands up.

A gave him a weak smile. "Do you know when Rachel will wake up?" I asked as I moved my eyes to her.

"In a few hours. We're going to move her to a room now. Room 279 we'll meet you up there." He said and raised the bars on the side and started rolling away.

I watched him roll her away as I went towards the stairs. I ran up the stairs to the second floor. Then went to a receptionist and she pointed me to Rachel's room.

I opened the door to the silent boring room and my eyes landed on Rachel. My eyes wondered over her body and I felt sick looking at her injured. If only I hadn't of pushed her she wouldn't have been in that car.

I walked to her side and took her small limp hand in mine and held it. I wasn't going anywhere until she was awake.

Rachel pov:

All I remember was being upside down and then seeing black. All I could think of was my little boy.

Feeling started coming back. Not like pain, but a warmth around my hands and the weight of a blanket on my legs.