Chapter 23- lies, broken promises, fake apologies

Rachel pov:

I used to think getting bullied everyday was the worst thing ever, but it's not. It's forgiving. It's letting them in. It's getting attached. And it's watching them prove that they could never change, that they should never be forgiven.

I blinked away my tears as I ran down the stairs and out of the house. As I weaved in and out of parked cars I neared the end of the driveway. My ride here was Zach but I was definitely calling an uber. As I reached the end of a driveway a hand grabbed hold of my wrist with a firm grip.

"Rachel." He said. Pulling me back slightly.

"Let go." I said not turning around. By his voice I could tell it was him and he had already caused enough problems.

"Rachel what happened? What's wrong?" He asked turning me around. Locking eyes I could tell he genuinely cared.

"Ethan please...just let me go." I breathed out trying to contain my tears but they slid down my cheek anyways.

He pulled me to his chest and wrapped his arms around me. Right now I needed comfort. So I leaned my head against his chest and cried. He rubbed my back in circles and whispered in my ear that everything would be okay.

I was just about to pull away when Ethan was ripped away from me.

"Get away from her!" Someone yelled. The person who ripped Ethan away from me.

I looked around to see who it was but at first I saw nothing not even Ethan. That wasn't until I looked down and saw Zach collide his fist with Ethan's face.

More tears poured down my face. "Stop!" I cried.

There wasn't much of anything I could do so I stood there crying and begging Zach to stop as he hit Ethan repeatedly.

"Stay. Away. From. My. Girl." He said between punches.

I couldn't take it anymore just standing here on the front lawn crying and watching through my tears as Ethan gets beaten to a pulp. I ran over behind Zach and grabbed his arm as he threw it back only to get ready to bring it down on Ethan.

"Stop please!" I cried and pulled as hard as I could on Zach's arm but to no avail. He looked at me for a second with pure anger before he slipped from my grasp and pushed me as far away from him as he could like I was some disease. Being me I stumbled backward and fell hard from his push.

I landed flat on my back with a thud. As I hit the ground all air was knocked out of my lungs and I gasped for air. Maybe it was the sound of me struggling to breathe or Zach just giving in but he was now at my side with a worried look on his face while he hovers over me examining me.

"Rachel I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry" he cried above me.

Finally able to breathe again I sucked in all the air around me and Zach wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close to him. I squirmed and fought to get out of his hold but he didn't budge.

"Zach let go of me! I hate you! I hate you so much!" I screamed and cried but he never let go of me. Didn't even loosen his grip.

Everything was just becoming so overwhelming Zach cheating, Ethan, Hannah being back. I just I want to sleep. I just wanna forget. I just want to get away from all of this.

So I did I cried myself to sleep,under the empty sky, in the arms of someone I thought cared for me but really it was all just a lie.