Chapter 20

5 days left

4 days left

3 days left

2 days left

For the past few days the girls had been receiving this message from the anonymous number. They didn't know whether the countdown was for New Year's Eve or for something much more threatening.

But, as much as they wanted to, they couldn't worry about that now, their parents had yet another event for them to go to.

This time, instead of going to a funeral, the four girls were going to the town centre, to celebrate new years eve.

So, at 11:00 pm on a Sunday evening, the last Sunday of this year, Oliwia, Alice, Mahnoor and Abir got into their cars along with their families and headed towards the clock tower in town.

As they arrived, the party was just beginning.

Oliwia, as usual ran straight towards the food area and began filling her plate. Mahnoor wandered around, taking selfies with her family and friends. Alice began dancing in the middle of the illuminated dance floor to the shock of onlookers. And finally, Abir was stood in the corner, listening to her own music.

After nearly half an hour of socializing with distant relatives, Mahnoor was finally free to find her friends.

She easily found Oliwia, still eating from her heaped plate, and pulled her away from the table.

"Come on! You've eaten enough, we need to find Abir and Alice!"

"Why? Can't I just stay with the food?" Oliwia moaned as she was dragged towards the dance floor.

"Because I'm sick of talking to my family, we need to get this party started! And, most importantly, we need to take some beautiful selfies!" Mahnoor explained, spotting Alice dancing in the middle.

"Alice! Stop dancing! We need to take selfies!"  Mahnoor called out to her.

Alice groaned, "Selfies? What do we need selfies for?" She asked as she stopped dancing and walked towards her friends her friends.

"Duh, to show the world how much fun we're having! And you can't have fun without friends." Oliwia spoke up as she finally finished eating the slice of cake on her plate.

"Speaking of friends, where's Abir?" Alice asked as she looked around.

"Exactly Alice, you're being clever for once! We need to go find her!" Mahnoor exclaimed whilst dragging the two girls behind her.

The girls pushed through a group of  their teachers and a crowd full of dancing adults as they looked for their friend.

"Where is she?!" Alice moans, annoyed as the rest stops for a short break.

"There She is!" Mahnoor pointed towards a figure in the distance.

"She's in the corner, being as antisocial as usual..." Oliwia added with a sigh.

"Hey guys , what's up?" Abir punches Oliwia playfully and stands in front of her friends waiting for their response.

Mahnoor ran over and nearly assaulted Abir, "Abir, You're here! Come on, we're going to take selfies."

"Selfies? Huh... well I guess the best place to go for that would be the clock tower." Abir mumbled absentmindedly.

"The clock tower? How do we get to it?" Oliwia asked.