Chapter XXIV

Carson POV

He pushed me over the edge. The look on their faces when I break out of things will never get old. Carter has the same look that Jake had, pure shock. Caleigh doesn't look shocked at all, but I can tell the blood loss is starting to get to her. She is pretty pale, well paler than usual, and she is starting to get tired again.

"Carson calm down." Carter takes my attention off of Caleigh. That was a mistake, because my anger from earlier had come back full force. I stand up, unable to control my anger.

"You started this war Carter, whether you want to believe it or not. You are the sole reason for your daughters suffering!" I yell at him. Caleigh only flinches, probably too tired to move. I doubt she got much sleep whilst she was here.

"Carson..." Caleigh says and I look down at her. I see her hand holding her stomach, with blood spreading around it. It must have been one of the deeper cuts Jake inflicted. I know that I have to get her out of here fast. 

I reach out over the table and grab Carter's collar. I yank him and he slides over the top of the table and into the ground by Caleigh's feet. Before he can even think about using Caleigh against me I kick him away from her.

He gets up as if none of my hits affected him at all. He wipes his mouth free of all the blood, I must have knocked loose a tooth. That filled me with a sense of pride, at least I hurt him. 

"You can't win this fight Carson." Carter said , and I swung at him. He blocked my punch and landed his own into my gut. I cough, I'm winded but I stand anyways.

"Why don't you just shut up already." I said. My need to protect my sisters is to great to stand down against him. He is the reason we are all here. He is the cause of Caleigh's suffering. The only reason Jake could do those things to Cal is because Carter told them where we were.

"Your just plain stupid then." He said and swiped my legs out from under me. I landed stomach first on the floor. I groan and look up. His ugly face is the first thing I see, but then I look past him, and see my baby sister. Blood is seeping out and she is slowly loosing consciousness. 

"No, I am loyal to my family, something you wouldn't understand." I said taking slow even breaths. Every time I feel out of breath I just have to remind myself, Caleigh feels a lot worse then I do.

"I taught you everything you know child." Carter said. It was like he was spitting venom, he really believed he could beat me. 

"Not everything. You didn't teach me how to love, I learned that all on my own." I said and Carter didn't react. The only thing he did in response was clench his hand. I knew I hit a sore spot.

"You're wrong, I do love someone Carson. Besides it doesn't matter now, love won't save you in battle." Carter said shrugging, like it was the most obvious thing in the world. 

"It will, it gives you something to fight for." I said, slowly pulling the knife out of my back pocket. Caleigh's eyes narrowed in on my movements, then she just smiled. She remembers what it looks like when I'm stalling. But Carter doesn't have her brain. 

"Not if they don't love you back." He said. At first I had no clue who he was talking about, then I saw Caleigh's expression. Her eyes were narrowed at Carter, that is when I knew he was talking about her.

"You never loved me, you only thought you did." She said tiredly. He looked at her, and I saw my chance. I threw the the knife straight into his bandaged bullet wound.

He yelled in pain and fell to the floor. The knife was embedded in his shoulder, and I knew it hit an artery. Damn, I have a good throw. I walked over to him and saw him reaching for the knife.

"If you pull that out you'll die. So I don't really mind if you do, just giving you a heads up." I said shrugging. I picked Caleigh up bridal style, and was about to open the door, when Carter reached his arm out.

"Carson..." He said, and I looked at him. My father, the man who beat me because it was the only way to learn my lesson. Who was the cause of my Caleigh's pain and suffering. This was the only way I wanted to view him. On the ground and in pain, begging for relief.

"Guess you didn't teach me everything ass." I said opening the door and leaving the room. As soon as the door shut I felt a weight leave my shoulders. Hopefully this time he would stay gone.

"That was a good last line." Caleigh mummer-ed into my shirt. I look down and my lips turned into a small smile. Her cracking jokes was a sure sign that she would be okay. 

"Not going to lie, I'm pretty proud right now." I said and she chuckled a little. A wave of guilt washes over me. I couldn't get to her in time. I couldn't protect her.

"Carson what's wrong?" Caleigh asks looking up at me. I sigh and look at her eyes, her bright blue eyes.

"I'm so sorry Cal, I should've been here sooner." I said and she just shook her head. 

"You're ridiculous, you did save me idiot." She said. I don't know if it was the sass behind it or the tone of certainty behind her voice, but I believed her.

"Let's go find Joe and Carly." I said and she nodded. I only made it two steps down the hallway before I realized I have no idea where I'm going.

"Carson keep going straight, they went into the opposite hallway as us." She said, getting tired once again. I began to run, I didn't know how much time I had until Caleigh fell asleep.

I began kicking open doors and windows until finally at the end of the hallway, was Carly and Joe. 

And they were kissing.

Please vote if you enjoyed!