EIGHTEEN; WINTER WONDERLAND

(4

(4.09)

ANUBIS HAD WOKEN UP TO SOUND OF CAROLINE BICKERING, WHICH AGGRAVATED HIM SINCE HE JUST WANTED SLEEP. Anubis opened his eyes slowly when he saw the blonde vampire glaring down at him with her hands on her hips. Once Anubis saw Caroline, he turned his head over to the other side to continue sleeping. Anubis had been in some sort of mood lately that no one knew how to figure out, he had been quiet and irritable. Isis had refused to answer questions as to the spell that she did, which only made Anubis even angrier. 

"Anubis wake up!" Caroline beckoned, "Bonnie told me to watch over you while she's gone and I'm not going to let you waste away in a bed," she pushed some blonde strands of hair out of her face as Anubis continued to ignore her. 

Anubis let out a sigh, "Caroline, I'm not going to waste away, now go away, I'm tired," Anubis pulled the blanket closer towards him, trying to close his eyes but he could still feel Caroline's glare on him. Bonnie was away helping Jeremy who had triggered his Hunter's Curse and he was trying to control his urge to kill vampires since he had tried to kill Elena recently. 

Caroline sighed as she pulled the blanket off Anubis and bundled it up in a ball, "Get up, now," the blonde ordered, Anubis turned in the bed and sat up to look at Caroline. 

"I don't even celebrate Christmas, Caroline," Anubis reminded but she didn't seem to care. She simply cocked her head to the side to look at the god. 

"And I don't care, you're coming with me until Bonnie comes back. Plus, it's more like a holiday celebration and there's going to be food, music, and lights. So, you're going whether you like it or not," she smiled at the end while she snapped her fingers for Anubis to get up. Caroline had a light yellow dress with a white cardigan of some sort. 

Anubis looked at Caroline dead in the eyes with an unamused expression, "Fine," Caroline smiled as Anubis agreed 

"When you're ready, come to the Town Square and smile or else you'll look like the Grinch that stole Christmas," Caroline turned her back and walked out with her hair bouncing flamboyantly. Anubis had gotten out of bed and had eaten and brushed his teeth. His wardrobe was the same thing almost every day, so he put on a suit like he always did. 

Soon enough, he had a feeling in his chest, the one he felt when Isis had turned him back to normal. He felt like something was off and that something bad was going to happen, it was a sense he knew too well, death was approaching, but it wasn't going to be just one person, it was going to more. 

When Anubis arrived at the Town Square there was fake snow falling and children were running around laughing, Anubis looked for a familiar face but couldn't find anyone that he knew. He looked around until he spotted a certain blonde with who Anubis thought was Tyler. He had yet to meet Tyler but Bonnie had told him who he was. After he had left, Anubis walked over to Caroline who had sad eyes.  

Anubis furrowed his brows, "Caroline, is everything okay?" 

Caroline sighed, "No, Anubis." 

"What is it?" he asked curiously. 

Caroline turned towards Anubis, "Tyler is going to do some body jumping spell which is incredibly stupid." 

Anubis furrowed his brows in confusion, "Why would he do that?" 

Caroline folded her arms across her chest, "So, the hybrids can leave without a trace," 

"Hybrids?" Anubis repeated, "How much did I miss?" 

Caroline sighed, "That's not the point right now, we need to stop them. Come with me," Caroline started walking and Anubis followed her unwillingly. 

"Caroline, whatever is going on, I don't want to be a part of it. I came here while I was under a spell and fueled by hatred." Caroline stopped dead in her tracks and faced Anubis with a puzzled expression. 

She cocked her head to the side, "Then why are you still here? Why haven't you left yet, huh?" 

Anubis rolled his eyes, "Caroline, that is not the point." 

Caroline folded her arms across her chest, "Anubis, I am not just some dumb blonde vampire. I'm pretty smart and there's a reason as to why you're still here. You could leave at any given moment but you're still here." 

Anubis opened his mouth to speak before Caroline gasped, "Oh my god, you're still here because of Bonnie! That's it! Oh my god, do you like her? Is that why you're staying?" 

Anubis shook his head, "No, Caroline. Just listen to me, there is nothing going on. I'm still here because of this cure thing and I don't want it to land in the wrong hands." 

Caroline looked unamused, she didn't believe a word he said, "Fine, whatever," 

"What is it that you're looking for?" Anubis asked. 

"A sword," Caroline answered, "And let's just say that it is very important, I just need to call Stefan," 

Anubis sighed, "Just tell me if you need help," he turned his back on Caroline who looked at him weirdly. She felt something off about Anubis, she watched as he went to sit down and admire the fake snow. She somehow felt bad for him, she didn't know why but she suddenly remembered when she first met him. How his eyes showed the only color in his life, now, she saw opening up, something she didn't expect before. Caroline shifted in her spot and mustered a small smile on her face, he was trying to change, he was trying to help. Caroline turned her back to call Stefan, shaking the thought out of her head. 

A few hours had passed and Anubis wanted nothing more than to go to his bed and sleep. He had a glass of champagne in his hand when he heard a voice that he dreaded to hear, "Well, look who decided to stop by," a male with dirty blond hair sat next to Anubis, he had blood red lips, and a deadly stare, Klaus Mikaelson. 

Anubis smiled at the Original, "Well if it isn't Klaus Mikaelson," Anubis started, he studied Klaus quickly, "What do you want?" 

Klaus let out a chuckle, "Oh, I want nothing, Anubis," he turned his head to Anubis, "I just want to know why you're still here?" 

"And why do you want to know that?" Anubis asked cocking his head, "See, your mother may be dead but that doesn't mean that I've changed my mind about you," 

Klaus cocked his head to the side, "Do you mind elaborating on that?" 

"Elijah is decent, he's noble and he's simply your henchman but he wouldn't do anything stupid. Rebekah hates your guts and I know that she wants that beloved cure for herself, meanwhile you want it so no one uses it on you. You don't care about anyone besides yourself, you will kill anyone and anything that gets in your way and need to be stopped," Anubis explained, there was a certain tension in the air between the two. 

Klaus licked his lips, "Well, it's nice to know where you stand Anubis, just us Mikaelsons have a vow, that we will stand for until the end," 

Anubis smiled as Klaus turned his back, "That's nice to know, but sometimes the ones you love most will betray you," Klaus simply smiled before walking away. Anubis wasn't going t let Klaus get away with anything. 

Once darkness fell, Anubis was walking towards the house once again. He had his hands in his pockets as he looked at the houses on the sidewalk. Anubis suddenly felt a pain his chest, he clutched at his chest and gasped for a quick breath of air. His vision became blurry, someone was dying. After a few seconds, his vision cleared and he saw an unfamiliar woman with dark hair. Anubis had never met her before, but he had seen her. She was well-known around Mystic Falls. 

It was Carol Lockwood.