Chapter 12

We walk through the woods taking in the cool autumn morning. I find it especially pleasing to get away from the stifling rooms and corridors of 13. It's not as bad as it was years ago. When I was here after 12 was destroyed it was depressing and overcrowded. A lot of people have now moved out into other districts and it feels positively empty now. After a good nights sleep my mother called in for breakfast this morning. It was a special time having both Peeta my Mother and me together and it almost felt like a normal family starting a normal day.

Yesterdays meeting ran late into the night. Long arguments about the risks of sending me into the hornets nest of the Capitol, against the advantage of rescuing Paylor. In the end it was decided to delay the decision until a definite plan was formulated. Plutarch is in direct contact with Tigris and she's informed him that Paylor is in no immediate threat. I find it slightly annoying that they haven't asked my opinion in any of this. Do I feel ready to go in? Am I ready? in my own mind I don't think so. The situation in 2 still hasn't changed, it's almost as if the mutts are waiting to try to starve the rebels out of the mountain. I still feel that despite Plutarch feeling that it's their one and only goal, there is more to this than meets the eye. Tomorrow we'll be headed back to 12 for some propo stuff. I'll be out with my Mockingjay suit and bow, and Peeta will be the doing the voice over. I don't feel as nervous and apprehensive as I did being the Mockingjay during the war. Peeta has given me new found confidence in my own abilities on screen.

We told Plutarch and Haymitch about our engagement after the meeting. Haymitch gave me a hug saying something like "thank god, Peeta can look after you now" while Plutarch clapped his hands together and started going on about how he was going to use it for propaganda. Today we'll have yet another meeting with Plutarch. It's a lot to do with tomorrow's propo but I want to press him on how he's going to deal with my reputation after my trial.

"Are you looking forward to going back to 12, Kat?

"Yeah, I'm a little worried to see if our house got damaged but it'll be nice to pick up some more things. I just wish Plutarch would let us go home, what with the uprising stalling at district 2"

"We'll see, he might let us spend some time there"

"I doubt it, I'm surprised he even lets us out of his sight"

Just then Cambell runs out from the woods "your needed in command immediately!"

We walk into command to be greeted by Haymitch, Plutarch, Gibbs and Gale.

As soon as we sit down he starts talking.

"Morning, I'll get right to it. We've got word of a new search that's taking place in the Capitol. This is a detailed search of houses outbuildings and cellars. Wolfe obviously feels that Paylor is still in the Capitol and he'll do whatever he can to get her before we can. Tigris thinks they'll probably find her in a few days" says Plutarch.

"What's the plan" asks Gale

We fly out a squad to district 4. From there they'll board a freighter of fish bound for the Capitol. Once they've made their way up the river and are in the Capitol they'll jump from the ship and find a way in to the sewage system. Then locate the best route to the fashion district using the tunnels, get Paylor and get out catching the freighter on its return leg to district 4, easy!"

We all look at each other and then at Plutarch as if he's mad.

"You've got to be joking" says Gale

"It's the only way we think it can be done, if we go over ground we end up fighting mutts, and we can't use the train tunnel because it's too heavily defended"

"What about flying her out" I ask

"We can do that once the freighter has slipped out from the mountains. Before that the anti aircraft cover is too thick.