Chapter 7

Next morning after breakfast Peeta and I walk into town. Peeta wants to spend some time at the bakery and I enjoy watching him work, besides I've got nothing else to do. We walk through the streets hand in hand, people still stare or whisper to each other about us. I suppose fame is something were never going to get away from.

"Hi Joel" I say as I walk through the door.

"Hi guys"

Peeta and Joel talk about the bakery whilst I walk out the back to see Megan. I like it here, it's so warm sitting next to the ovens.

"Hi Katniss, I heard you had an accident?

I wasn't prepared for this, Peeta's been away from the bakery a lot recently and they obviously know that something happened to me.

"Yeah, I'm okay now though" I answer

"How's the bakery been doing while we've been away" I say, changing the subject.

"We've been busy, but we can handle it though. It's good to have Peeta around but he doesn't have to put himself out to be here all the time"

"That's good to know, how have you settled in, are you in your new house now"

"No, the new houses the Capitol promised to build still haven't been started. I don't think they'll ever be built, another broken promise from the Capitol" she spits out.

"You have to remember the mess Panem was in after the war. The country had very little money, and the people were starving, it will take time but one day it'll be better trust me" I smile trying to build up her spirits.

I dig into my pockets and give Megan some money.

"I can't take it Katniss" she gasps

"You will" I say back sternly pressing the coins into her hand.

"Okay thank you" she says sheepishly

"What are you doing tonight after you finish here"

"Nothing, we'll probably eat at the hob and go to bed"

"Well your eating with us tonight, both of you, okay?"

"Okay Katniss, thanks"

Peeta walks in from the shop.

"Peeta, Joel and Megan are having dinner with us tonight"

"They are?"

"Yep, and your going to leave early to cook something nice"

"I am?"

Megan smiles at me ordering Peeta around.

"I'll go down to the hob to see what I can find for dinner"

"Okay" he says.

I kiss him on the cheek and walk out leaving him speechless.

I leave the shop to the sound of Megan's laughter and smile to myself knowing Peeta's going to make me pay for that later. I walk through the square to the hob which was rebuilt after the war but it still looks like it could fall down at any time. There were no materials to build it so it was constructed using old sheet metal panels from the mines. I walk over to Greasy Sae.

"Hello Katniss" I haven't seen you around here for a while"

"I haven't been hunting Sae, I need to though, I haven't any meat left in the house".

"Well, I haven't got much, I've got some dog and squirrel, but I have some beef that found its way here from 10 a couple of days ago"

Sae, always the sales women, knows I can afford it.