Chapter 44

Peeta and I walk into command to see Elise sat at the conference table with Plutarch, Paylor (now back in her suit) Lyndon, Gibbs and Beetee. I'm told that Gale was invited but won't leave Megan's side.
She's been in medical since we returned yesterday and is expected to make a full recovery but Gale won't leave until he sees it for himself. After what happened to Peeta I fully understand how he feels.

Elise sits by herself on one side of the table whilst the others sit opposite. The scene in front of me looks like some sort of interrogation. Elise looks nervous and uncomfortable and I make a point of sitting next to her, Peeta follows me and sits on her other side. I try to sound jovial and happy trying to defuse the tension.

"Good morning everyone"

The others all nod in return still not interested in making Elise feel any more comfortable. Peeta puts an arm around her shoulder and gives her a gentle squeeze, she smiles at him for a moment then returns to a look of anxiety.
She lays her hands flat on the table in front of her as I hear her take a deep breath. I reach my hand forward and take hers in mine. I feel Elise relax, a gentle sigh escaping from her lips. This simple gesture from me isn't lost on the others. Lyndon just stares at me whilst Paylor and Plutarch smile in understanding at what I'm trying to do.
Plutarch clears his throat.

"Okay Elise, we want to ask you some questions about Odin and his uprising. Your answers could help in ending the war but first I'd like to thank you from all of us here in helping the Propo squad escape yesterday. I promise you you made the right decision in joining us Elise, I hope we don't let you down"

"Okay, but before we begin I've got a few questions for you if you don't mind" says Elise.

"Of course, fire away"

"What about my parents, I know Katniss has made it look like I was killed but I know Odin better than any of you. It won't be long before he's figured that I'm still alive, and then he'll go after my family"

"Every effort is being made to rescue them and my team is on standby and ready to go in once the intelligence is complete"

"And who are you?"

"My name is Captain Elaine Gibbs, it was my team that rescued the president from the Capitol, I saw you briefly at the dock before we got extracted back to district 13"

She nods at Gibbs "yes, I remember"

Elise then looks Lyndon straight in the eye.

"You commander need to understand that I had nothing to do with the deaths of you're flight crew. I was basically Odin's pet, I went where I was told and was ordered around by my guards. The man who gave the order to kill your people is now dead, blown to pieces by the missiles you fired into the clearing to complete Katniss's deception. I am truly sorry for their deaths but I had no knowledge of it"

Lyndon just glares back at her, his eyes trying to read her expression. Elise just stares back with a look of sorrow on her face before Lyndon eventually looks away and says nothing. Elise looks down in worry, as if she feels that Lyndon doesn't believe her. I give her hand a gentle squeeze to comfort her.
She takes a breath and looks around the room.

"Okay, what do you want to know"

"Well, it'd be most useful to know what his military strength is, how many soldiers, mutts, weapons etc" asks Beetee.

"Most of that information I wasn't part of, as I said I was used mainly as a pet, a link if you like to the old Capitol when my grandpa was president".

"That's okay Elise, just tell us what you do know" I say.

"Well, I know that Odin's been busy in district 1. I've hardly seen him in the last month. I can't be sure but I think it's to do with his mutt farms he's so passionate about. I think he's started up a load of new ones"